Finding the Value in SOA by Stephen Bennett
By J Swaroop on Nov 17, 2011
Here's an excerpt from a very interesting article on CIO update titled "Finding the value in SOA" by Stephen Bennett of Oracle
"Because of this, SOA must not be seen as a solution development approach that starts and ends once a solution is delivered. It must be seen as an on-going process that, when coupled with a strategic framework, can change and evolve with the business over time. Unfortunately, many enterprises adopt SOA without utilizing a strategic framework, causing a host of challenges for their business.
Just a few of the challenges I have seen include:
- More complexity and moving parts
- Increased costs
- Projects taking longer than before
- Solutions more fragile than ever
- Little or no agility
- Difficulty identifying and discovering services
- Exponentially growing governance challenges
- Limited service re-use
- Duplication of effort leading to service sprawl
- Multiple siloed technology focused SOAs
- Funding for service oriented projects being cut"