By glennf on Jun 13, 2008
My son Hayden (13 years old) is participating in his first Olympic triathlon this year (1.5k swim / 28mi bike/ 10k run). He decided to make it a fund raiser for Pancreatic cancer in memory of his Grandmother who suffered from this most lethal of cancers. If you would like to help in anyway, please use this link to donate directly to the Lustgarten Foundation. The Lustgarten Foundation is a foundation dedicated to advance the scientific and medical research related to the diagnosis, treatment, cure and prevention of pancreatic cancer.
Below is an excerpt from Hayden's Letter writing campaign:
• Pancreatic cancer is the deadliest of all major cancers.
• It kills 50% of those afflicted within 6 months and 97% of those afflicted within 5 years.
• There is no prevention, early diagnoses, or cure.
• 10% of all pancreatic cancers are inherited.
• In 2008 there were 37,680 new cases of pancreatic cancer in the U.S.
• In 2008 there were 34,290 deaths from pancreatic cancer in the U.S.
I chose to raise money for pancreatic cancer research because of its alarming death rate, and because my beloved grandmother, Nancy, passed away from this disease in mid August 2001, having been diagnosed only two months prior. Please help me to raise money for pancreatic cancer research.