Throughput computing series... getting the most of your SPARC CMT server.
By glennf on Jan 07, 2008
The biggest disconnect with CMT servers is a misunderstanding of throughput and multi-threaded applications. I made a posting last year which touched on some initial impressions, but I thought it would be a good idea to dig in further.
This entry is to kick off a series of postings that explore different aspects of throughput computing in a CMT environment. The rough outline is as follows:
- Definition of Throughput computing, multi-threading, and concurrency.
- Unix commands and parallel options
- Concurrent builds/compiles.
- Configuring the system for parallelism
- Concurrency vs multi-threading
- Single-Threaded jobs
- Parallel loader and datapump
- Index build parallelism
- Concurrent processing in Oracle
- Configuring Oracle for CMT servers