Windowmaker on S10 x86
By gjl on Apr 08, 2005
As it turned out, this was a lot simpler than I imagined. FYI, here's how I did it....
1) Go to blastwave and download the pkg-get application. Install it on your workstation using pkgadd.
2) Edit your /etc/pkg-get.conf appropriately. By default it will look to sunfreeware.com, which gets very busy. I changed mine as below. Add in your proxy server if required.
# See http://www.sunfreeware.com/ftp.html for other mirrors #url=http://mirrors.xmission.com/sunfreeware # North american site for CSW packages, instead of sunfreeware ones url=http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/csw/unstable/3) Run the pkg-get binary, to get a catalog. ./pkg-get -U My binary is in /opt/csw/bin
4) Type pkg-get -i windowmaker The pkg-get magic, automatically gets all the required packages for you and installs in the right order.
5) Once finished you'll want to have Windowmaker appear in the list of available window managers at the desktop login screen.
6) Simply follow this script, you can directly cut and paste the text files linked off of the page.
7) Logout of your existing window manager, and login under windowmaker.