OpenSolaris 2008.11 Network Printers - auto-discovery using snmp
By user12821170 on Dec 10, 2008
Presto is an effort to fill the printing gaps in Solaris/OpenSolaris. The idea of Presto is to automate the process of locating printers as much as possible. So now with the integration of OpenSolaris Print Manager, we can now:
- auto-detect local USB printers and prompt user to create queue on a pre-filled dialog when it is first plugged in.
- OpenSolaris Print Manager allows user to do more print queues and print jobs operations as I have previously blogged here.
One hidden jewel of Presto which is not available by default after installing OpenSolaris 2008.11 is the auto-discovery of network printers. Due the space constraint of Live CD, one of the package that the auto-discovery of network printer required is omitted from the Live CD, SUNMWsmmgr. To use this feature:
- Launch Package Manager (a.k.a Add More Software) on the desktop
- Search for 'SUNWsmmgr', you should see it is not installed
- Click on the check box to its left
- Click on Install/Update on the tool bar
After installation, you have to restart the following SMF services:
- svcadm restart hal (the process /usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-network-discovery should be running)
- svcadm enable printers:snmp (make sure that this service is started correctly)
Launch System->Administration->Print Manager, any network printer in your sub-net that talks snmp should be automatically added to the system and appear in the Print Manager. It will take about a minute for that to be shown.
More on-line documentation about the Print Manager is here