Basic outline of steps for getting Raspberry Pi ready for usage with Java.
- Read this: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/embedded-se/overview/index.html
- Put SD card into laptop.
- Download Raspbian Wheezy: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
- Unzip it and you have an .img file.
- Set up static IP "ip=169.254.40.30" in commandline.txt in boot drive of SD card.
- Put SD card into Raspberry Pi, connect via network to the laptop, and connect the Raspberry Pi to power.
- Install Putty (e.g., sudo apt-get install putty). Connect to the device and then run 'sudo raspi-config' to complete the setup.
- Download EJDK and then use NetBeans IDE tools to create a JRE and deploy it to Raspberry Pi. Then use NetBeans IDE for everything else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHbDlTnV-Iv
That's it. More notes to be added as I learn more.