Not only stone age methods were used, but also the end result is pretty pointless. However, the larger lesson is that I think the Scene Graph API is going to be useful in combination with the Visual Library API, or separate from it, whatever makes sense. For example, if you want tight integration with the NetBeans Platform, you won't use the Scene Graph API, because it has no connection with the Nodes API, unlike the Visual Library API. (So, you're not going to be able to integrate with a NetBeans Property Sheet, for example.) On the other hand, it does have a concept of "nodes", so at least there is a sharing of terminology. (Perhaps "false friends", but perhaps the basis of a merger.) However, I imagine that animation and timing framework related activities are handled better in the Scene Graph API. So, my guess is that one will be able to mix and match. Note also Josh's thoughts at the end of this article, where he imagines a future where the Visual Library API will be underpinned by the Scene Graph API. That makes sense to me and sounds like it would be the best of both worlds.
PS: In case you're wondering why I chose a monk—I wanted to use an image of a person. However, my knowledge of this API is currently microscopic, hence I knew I wouldn't be able to manage the movement of the person's legs. "Without that, it would look weird and incomplete", I thought. So, I decided to cheat. I googled for a picture of a monk, because I anticipated the picture would include a robe that would reach down over the shoes, so that the whole lack-of-authentic-leg-movement-animation-thing wouldn't be an eyesore. But I couldn't find a monk with the requisite robe length, so I gave up and went with this one, because of the white background... And, so, anyway, that's how it ended up being a monk. Pity he's got a bad habit.