I had an excellent evening with the NetBeans User Group in Munich. About 30 or so, all hosted at the company where Toni Epple works. My presentation was 'Porting a Java Application to the NetBeans Platform'. Then there was a small session hanging out in a pub. We learned a lot from each other, but more about that in a future blog entry. I got back to the hotel to find an e-mail from Kirk Pepperdine, with some source code that he wanted to port to the NetBeans Platform. Hmmm... he should've been at the NetBeans User Group meeting where his scenario was discussed, because he had a container and so... he needs a TopComponent. Then a small bit of code movement into the TopComponent and then:
What you see is some test output that will come out of a performance tool that Kirk is working on. And, as you can see Kirk, running it on the NetBeans Platform means creating a new window (via the New Window Component wizard) and then adding the panel to the window. All the rest of the code is unchanged... Hurray, in the same evening that I preached the (relative) ease of porting I was able to put it into practise too!