Welcome to me!
By Geertjan on Mar 31, 2005
Occasionally Asked Questions About Me And This Blog:
- This blog seems to be all about "NetBeans". What kind of vegetable is that? Not a vegetable, my friend. Just the free and open source development environment, for programming languages such as Java, provided by Sun Microsystems. You can think of a development environment as being something like what "Open Office" or "Word" is to a writer of books or articles. Instead of books and articles, NetBeans is for writing programs, either for the web, for your desktop, or for your mobile phone. The generic term for this kind of tool is "integrated development environment" or, in short, "IDE". Find out more about NetBeans IDE here.
- So where in the world are you, in real life? In Amsterdam, the Netherlands, after having lived in beautiful Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, for several years, where NetBeans was originally created, in 1997. I've been part of the NetBeans team since 2004, now working from home in Amsterdam since 2010.
- What is your official job at NetBeans? For the NetBeans open-source project, I am a product manager, after having been responsible for all documentation that relates to web services, NetBeans module development, and rich-client application development on the NetBeans Platform. (I also wrote a lot of the help files and tutorials that relate to web applications.) So, I'm responsible for the help file sections (choose "Help > Help Contents" in the IDE) for these areas as well as the on-line documents, such as quick start guides and tutorials.
- Are you involved in other activities relating to NetBeans? Yes, I occasionally do presentations (like at Sun Tech Days, JavaOne, and NL-JUG conferences). I also contributed to the 2nd edition of the NetBeans Field Guide. And I contribute to some open source projects on dev.java.net, such as jMaki, BluePrints and NBWicketSupport. One thing I've really enjoyed is giving trainings on NetBeans IDE and on the NetBeans Platform, which I've done in "live" classroom settings as well as in on-line courses via Elluminate.
- Do you have a recentish picture of yourself? Yes. Here it is:
- Come on! Did anyone ever really ask the previous question? Well, no. I actually just needed an excuse to post my picture (because apparently that's the polite thing to do in a blog).
- What's this blog about? I use this blog to record interesting new discoveries that I keep making while using the IDE. There've been so many times that I've thought, "Wow. This is really cool." But then a week or so later I've forgotten all about it because there's something else that I've discovered that is cool. And maybe someone out there will benefit from my discoveries. (By the way, this blog was inspired by my NetBeans colleague Roman Strobl.)
- Is everything in this blog official gospel truth reflecting Sun policy and strategy? No. It is just my personal view on things. And you'll not find much on Sun policy and strategy here. It is all about NetBeans, how to use it, what it can do for you, some hidden tips and tricks, and my new learnings and insights. And they could all be wrong. Use at your very own risk.
- What am I supposed to do with your blog? Read it and enjoy it! And ask questions when things don't make sense. Also, if you have anything to say about anything you find in this blog, or if anything is unclear in any way, either leave a comment in this blog or write to me at my personal e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.