Parsing Javalobby (Part 1)

I had some time to kill in Istanbul airport (which I highly recommend for its free wireless, with a cool coffee bar and nice layout throughout) and so parsed Javalobby's frontpage. Here you see the IDE's Output window, listing the URLs and titles of the articles on Javalobby's frontpage:

Then I put the titles into the IDE's toolbar:

When it's done, you'll be able to select a title and then the browser will open, displaying the corresponding article. (I played with Rich Unger's JDIC browser updated to 6.0, but couldn't get it to work on Ubuntu with Firefox.) The real challenge will be how to figure out programmatically when the Javalobby page is updated, so that the toolbar can be refreshed whenever that happens. Does anyone have any ideas for how to do this? (Maybe I need to download the whole page, compare the size of the page to the previous size of the page, and then reload if there is a difference? Or, better, count the number of titles and then, if there is a difference, update the toolbar. Guess I answered my own question.) Once the plugin is finished I'll make it available on the Plugin Portal, together with the source code.



Posted by guest on January 05, 2008 at 07:59 PM PST #

i did not understand anything you said ?????

Posted by guest on January 05, 2008 at 08:00 PM PST #

Check whether the server supports HTTP-If-Modified-Since header.

Posted by Bohdan on January 05, 2008 at 11:56 PM PST #

Thanks for the tip Bohdan!

Posted by Geertjan on January 06, 2008 at 03:27 AM PST #

My understanding is that firefox 2.x does not have gecko compiled dynamically, so it can't be embedded like Mozilla can. Firefox 3 might change this, I'm not sure. XULRunner should work as well. Also, I haven't made a jdic-linux module with the native libs for that platform. Should be easy enough to do, but my linux box is still in storage.

Posted by Rich Unger on January 06, 2008 at 03:37 AM PST #

Hi Rich! When I was experimenting with your JDIC browser suite, I added the necessary libs and the native lib linkages worked correctly (at least, i stopped getting error messages). However, as you point out, the dynamic compilation problem remains a blocker. Hoping it will sort itself out and, yes, I also heard about XULRunner, I know Sandip has had some successful experiments with it. I'll look into it soon. It would be cool if you could try out the YouTube Player and Javalobby Integrator, to see whether simply selecting the JDIC Browser is sufficient for opening the selected item (i.e., YouTube movie or Javalobby article) inside the IDE. Should work, of course, but would be cool to have this confirmed. Welcome back from your travels!

Posted by Geertjan on January 06, 2008 at 03:43 AM PST #


To get titles did you parse the


Posted by Carl on January 08, 2008 at 12:16 AM PST #

Hi Carl. Had I known about that page, I might have used it, but I didn't. So I use instead. See part 3 of this series to see how I did so.

Posted by Geertjan on January 08, 2008 at 12:21 AM PST #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed

Geertjan Wielenga (@geertjanw) is a Principal Product Manager in the Oracle Developer Tools group living & working in Amsterdam. He is a Java technology enthusiast, evangelist, trainer, speaker, and writer. He blogs here daily.

The focus of this blog is mostly on NetBeans (a development tool primarily for Java programmers), with an occasional reference to NetBeans, and sometimes diverging to topics relating to NetBeans. And then there are days when NetBeans is mentioned, just for a change.


« July 2016