Caption Competition Winner
By Geertjan-Oracle on Nov 27, 2007
The comments at the end of his blog entry indicate a lot of enthusiasm and creativity among Roumen's readership. I have been given no guidance as to the criteria for judging the winner, so I guess I will make up my own. For a start, the captions entered must make some kind of sense, at least, they must make some kind of sense to me, as the judge of this illustrious competion. So, that excludes several right from the start. Also, a certain sense of humor is important for caption competitions. Humor is, again, subjective. However, based on these highly subjective criteria, and bearing in mind that multiple entries per person were allowed, the shortlist of possible winners is cut down to the following:
- "Can I order pizza for me and my friends?" (Michael Hüttermann)
- "Okay guys, who took my wallet?" (Keith Blackwell)
- "Back to the future, part 6: 'Yes, they all use NetBeans 6. Very good. And now back to '07.'" (Michael Hüttermann)
- "Damn. I wish someone had been more specific about those 77 virgins." (Robert)
- "I didn't think so many would respond to my 'Swap your girlfriend for a NetBeans CD' campaign." (Jack)
- "Cool party! But I wonder which one of them is 'Lonely nerdy Arab guy, in an experimental phase, looking for a good time'." (Harry Peterson)
- "I feel like a NetBeans Plugin!" (David)
- "java.lang.OutOfMemoryException!" (NetPaladin)
The above... is the shortlist. I must say I at least smiled a tiny bit at each of them. Some of them border on the inappropriate, but that's precisely what makes them funny. :-) And.. the final winner is (and remember, yada yada yada, there are no losers here, yada yada yada, we are all winners, yada yada yada, it's not the winning, but the taking part that matters, yada yada yada)... drumroll...
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryException!" by NetPaladin! Hurray! That one combines geeky humor with how Roumen probably felt standing there amidst all those happy faces, flushed with the excitement of just having heard one of his cool presentations. NetPaladin, you win a NetBeans 6.0 t-shirt. Please send your details to roman DOT strobl AT sun DOT com and you will get your t-shirt sent to you in the coming days. Thanks all for participating!