"Cannot load even default layout, using internally predefined configuration"

When I created the FeedReader application in NetBeans IDE 8 and then ran it, this is what I saw:

The above tells you something is messed up in the System FileSystem.

The log shows among other things:

Caused: java.io.FileNotFoundException: [WinSys] Missing Window Manager configuration file
    at org.netbeans.core.windows.persistence.WindowManagerParser$PropertyHandler.readData(WindowManagerParser.java:911)
    at org.netbeans.core.windows.persistence.WindowManagerParser.readProperties(WindowManagerParser.java:365)
    at org.netbeans.core.windows.persistence.WindowManagerParser.load(WindowManagerParser.java:110)
    at org.netbeans.core.windows.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadWindowSystem(PersistenceManager.java:1156)
[catch] at org.netbeans.core.windows.PersistenceHandler.load(PersistenceHandler.java:130)
    at org.netbeans.core.windows.WindowSystemImpl.load(WindowSystemImpl.java:81)
    at org.netbeans.core.GuiRunLevel$InitWinSys.run(GuiRunLevel.java:229)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:744)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:97)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:697)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:691)

After quite a bit of searching, I discovered this file in the "branding" folder of the application. The "branding" folder can only be seen when you're in the Files window.

I deleted the "resources" folder above, together with the "layer.xml" file that you see there. It contained only "_hidden" elements, i.e., this is an older way of hiding menus and toolbars, that is now obsolete; now you do so within a module instead of in a file within the "branding" folder like the above. (Even better than deleting it is to move its content into one of the layer.xml files of your own modules, e.g., the Feed Reader module.)

Then I cleaned the application. And then I ran the application and everything was OK. Seems like an old file format of the layer.xml file, or maybe something changed in that module, I don't know what the reason is.

Comments:

Thanks Geertjan,

That solved my problem. The other issue is that the Help menu somehow shows up in the middle. It's supposed to show up at the end of menu bar. Any idea how to fix it.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted by Steve Jin on April 05, 2014 at 10:14 PM PDT #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

Geertjan Wielenga (@geertjanw) is a Principal Product Manager in the Oracle Developer Tools group living & working in Amsterdam. He is a Java technology enthusiast, evangelist, trainer, speaker, and writer. He blogs here daily.

The focus of this blog is mostly on NetBeans (a development tool primarily for Java programmers), with an occasional reference to NetBeans, and sometimes diverging to topics relating to NetBeans. And then there are days when NetBeans is mentioned, just for a change.

Search

Archives
« August 2015
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      
8
9
19
22
23
29
30
31
     
Today