By Dean Nelson on Jan 04, 2008
Wow, the last half of 2007 was quite a whirlwind for our internal datacenter activities. I have not had a chance to post a blog because of the volume of work that has been going on just in the last few months. I guess our message is viable and is being heard loud and clear. Sun's POD architecture not only simplifies the approach to datacenter design, it saves you money.
Check out these stats since 07/2007
- Over 1,000 people from over 200 companies have toured the Santa Clara and Bangalore datacenter in just two quarters.
- The Datacenter tour video has been watched over 4,000 times.
- Our highest density datacenter is in Santa Clara and operating at the highest efficiency in our global portfolio of 1.3M square feet.
- We spun up Sun's next generation hardware, ahead of schedule, with 4 times the load per footprint with no issues.
- From my calculations, there is over $4B in datacenter construction activity happening right now with just the top 25% of the customers who have walked through Santa Clara.
The Santa Clara & India datacenters that we built have generated huge interest in the industry. Why? Because, everyone has the same problem. They're either out of power, cooling, space or a combination of the three -and- they are perplexed with how to future proof their datacenter investments. When you are looking at spending $50, $100, $500M or more on datacenter construction, you want to feel comfortable with the solution. My team is managing about $250M of internal datacenter activity right now and we can honestly say that our investments have payed off. Time to market, efficiencies, financial returns, are all contributing to Sun's pace. We're back and our technical infrastructure is a competitive weapon.
We finished the 72,000 square feet of datacenter space in July 2007. Since then we have been wrapping up the loose ends and consolidating more and more equipment. We reaching 70% of our power and cooling capacity (9MW phase I) and considering launching our phase II power and cooling (expand to 16MW) earlier than expected. All in all, the site has been a great success for our internal engineering and services customers, finance, marketing and the eco strategy. And, it's just getting started. We have an even bigger project underway right now in Colorado. We also have 30+ more projects world wide.
If you're ever interested in seeing it, feel free to contact me at email@example.com. Our eco strategy is innovate, act & share. We would love to share more.