Days ago, I ownloaded an app. The installation failed because it is for Snow Leopard. I then realized that Mac OS X 10.6 had been released for a while, actually a year ago. I thought I should upgrade my macbook. It worked great, but should I give Snow Leopard a try?
I ordered the DVD and went ahead to upgrade without checking for reviews. The installation took about one hour. Initially it seemed OK. Apps I used daily continued to work, though I didn't notice anything better. I was not sure whether it was running on Snow Leopard. When I started to use other apps, troubles kept coming. Firstly ROR didn't work, then VPN didn't start, and the worst crash. It crashed twice in a day.
I so regretted that I upgraded the OS when it crashed 2nd time. Fortunately it didn't take me too long to figure out the root cause and got it fixed. The culprit was growl. The error showing on "console messages" was "attempt to pop an unknown autorelease pool", lots of them, all from growl. The solution is to update growl to the latest 1.2
According to http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/12696&page=2
,VPN client needs a reinstall. Before reinstall, I did uninstall, "sudo /usr/local/bin/vpn_uninstall". Somehow, the new VPN client window didn't pop up even with the reinstall. I learned to start it by command line "vpnclient connect your_profile". Before I figuring out the cause, the problem was gone after a few reboots.
The ROR issue was real pain. The error was a "500 Internal Server Error", "uninitialized constant MysqlCompat::MysqlRes", "/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:440:in `load_missing_constant'". I uninstalled the mysql and installed latest 5.1.47 64 bit version. The error switched to "dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init". There are many posts on ROR forums about the fixes. Somehow, it took me 2 days to find this excellent post href="http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2009/8/30/upgrading-to-snow-leopard
. Running the following command
sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config
ROR started to work again. Lesson learned - search on the web to see what others said before install, upgrade any softwares, especially before an OS upgrade.