First and the most important question: What is Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS)?
ORDS is a Java application that enables developers with SQL and database skills to develop REST APIs for the Oracle Database, the Oracle Database 12c JSON Document store, and the Oracle NoSQL Database. Any application developer can use these APIs from any language environment, without installing and maintaining client drivers, in the same way they access other external services using the most widely used API technology: REST.
Visit Oracle REST Data Services FAQ page, if you have more questions about Oracle REST Data Services(ORDS) like:
- How can I get started with ORDS?
- How is ORDS licensed?
- How does ORDS run on the Oracle Public Cloud?
- How does ORDS pass parameters in and out to SQL and PL/SQL handlers in REST calls like GET and POST?
- Can ORDS create RESTful Services that execute PL/SQL stored procedures?
- How can I document and publish my RESTful APIs I create with ORDS?
- Why am I getting a 404 Not Found error message when I first do a GET on ORDS using the URI https://<hostname><:port>/ords ?
- What application server should I use with ORDS?
- What is Standalone mode and when should I use it?
- How can I tell what version of ORDS I am running?
- Does ORDS Support RAC Fast Connection Failover?
- How do you do performance tuning if ORDS appears to be running slow?
- Where can I find actual worked examples of implementing OAuth2 security with ORDS?
- Where can I find examples of creating RESTful APIs using the ORDS PL/SQL API.
- How does ORDS handle Date data types? The Oracle Database supports date data types but JSON does not.
- How can JSON objects containing nested arrays be inserted into multiple, hierarchical tables in the Oracle Database?
- How can I generate nested JSON objects from multiple, hierarchical tables in the Oracle Database, e.g., a JSON purchase order containing a nested array of purchase order items from purchase order and purchase order items tables?
- How can I turn off pagination so that GETs that return arrays of JSON Objects are processed correctly?
- How can I store and retrieve JSON in a column of a relational table using REST and ORDS?
- How can I get answers to other technical questions I may have about ORDS?