OpenWorld Recap Day 1: Innovations in Oracle Fusion Middleware, Exalogic, Cloud Application Foundation
By Dain C. Hansen on Oct 03, 2011
So much buzz in a single day. I have to say I was quite blown away with the starting videos by Mark Hurd outlining our success thus far, and then ending with Thomas Kurian in the morning detailing a number of key advancements around Enterprise Manager 12c, Big Data, and Exalytics. The theme of Oracle OpenWorld (if you haven’t been paying attention to our banners) is all about Engineered for Innovation.
Hasan Rizvi during his General Session today discussed such innovations in Fusion Middleware highlighting Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud and Oracle Cloud Application Foundation which help provide a foundation for Cloud applications, make IT more efficient and business users more productive.
Rizvi outlined how Oracle is the leader in Fusion Middleware, with the #1 position in the market –with over 120,000 existing customers having added 9,500 new customers in the last 12 months.
In fact, Oracle runs on Oracle; running its own applications on Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle invests heavily in integrating its products together into cohesive solutions, reducing professional services costs compared to competition while reducing time-to-market for on-boarding new services from 3 months to 2 weeks.
Oracle also runs its most innovative business software, Fusion Applications, on Oracle Fusion Middleware - leveraging its modern user interface, in context Business Intelligence, integrated SOA, centralized security, and built for on-premise and on-Cloud.
Rizvi also discussed in detail the advantages of Oracle Exalogic,
- Exalogic provides up to 5X processor utilization advantage for applications: Java EE, 25% processor utilization advantage for standard Linux or Solaris applications.
- Unmatched throughput, responsiveness and efficiency on Oracle Exalogic: Oracle SOA runs 9X faster, Oracle ADF runs 10X faster.
- For Business Applications it means better throughput, lower response times, more TPS, more users.
Ultimately that means: Oracle Exalogic provides customers a solution which relies on less hardware and software, is easier to deploy, manage, maintain, while at the same time runs faster.
In fact many Exalogic customers experienced dramatic gains. Rizvi quoted a few important customer examples:
- Haier: 7X faster than IBM P750/AIX at ½ the cost.
- Square Two: 9X improved response time with 5X gain in concurrent users
- Deutsche Post DHL: ¼ rack of Exalogic 360X faster than 600 existing servers
- Xi’an Software Pak: 22X faster performance than existing systems
- Banco de Chile: 4X better performance over the competing solution.
In addition, Rizvi outlined new advancements in Exalogic Elastic Cloud Software which are worth highlighting:
- Elastic Cloud Software now available on newly announced SPARC SuperCluster thereby bringing its benefits to an even larger audience
- Virtual Assemblies for Exalogic bring together VM images and deployment configurations in order to reduce the costs of rapidly deploying new applications
- Cloud Management provides complete cloud lifecycle management with automatic scale-up and scale-down along with metering and chargeback
- Additionally, Cloud Management benefits from deep integration with hardware, software, and applications management to offer automatic, proactive support that monitors the day to day health of the system, provides patch recommendations, and can even contact support automatically when a problem is detected.
- Oracle VM 3.0 for Exalogic offers the lowest overhead in the market combine with the greatest scalability for x86 architectures
- Oracle Exabus offers high speed network virtualization, providing direct memory I/O for Java and C++ applications that results in 400% increase in process to process throughput
- Example Exalogic Benefits for Fusion Middleware Customers: SOA 11g experiences a 9X improvement in response time, improves Tuxedo response time by 7X, and increases throughput of Oracle Universal Content Management by 300%
- Resulting improvement in response time of sample business processes in Oracle Applications: E-Business Suite 300-800%, PeopleSoft 300%, Siebel 800%, JD Edwards 300%, Utilities Master Data Management 200%, and ATG 300%.
Stay with us on twitter if you aren’t already. Follow #OOW11 and #Middleware to be apprised of all the latest news when it happens. Join us in sessions in the Middleware stream by going to our Fusion Middleware Focus on Document.