The Social Media Revolution / Evolution
By user12601026 on Aug 23, 2009
Here are some fantastic statistics about Social Media in this video:
Some of the juicy tidbits from the video:
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers
- 96% of them have joined a social network
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the US last year have met via social media
- Facebook added 100 million users in 9 months
- If Facebook would be a country, it would be the world’s 4th largest
- 80% of companies are using LinkedIn as their primary tool to find employees
- 80% of Twitter usage is on mobile devices. People update anywhere, anytime. Imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
- In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world
- There are over 200.000.000 Blogs. 54% of bloggers post content or tweet daily
But this makes me wonder if social media is more of an evolution... rather than a revolution. Email used to be the killer app. Now these new social tools are allowing us to connect and communicate with each other in other evolutionary ways.