By vasanth on Dec 07, 2007
Just concluded...a great session on free and open source by Simon Phipps. In his talk, Simon addressed several open questions on licensing, patents, and trademarks.
Notes from Simon's session
- Sun is the largest commercial contributor to open source
- Sun contributes to 750 free and open source software products
- Today, Apache software foundation and Ubuntu are very key to free software
- We operate in a "global mesh" as part of the FOSS community
- FOSS is an expression of change in society
- FOSS is not about saving money, it is about sovereignty
- Sun is engaging in open source to be part of the bigger community
- We need to learn how to handle software patents
Simon also talked about:
- Corporate behavior
- Trademark issues
- Transparency vs democracy
Simon also announced the "Sun Open Source Community Innovation Awards" in his talk.