New Backup Restore for V3
By ByronNevins on Oct 11, 2007
We are considering significantly improving the Backup and Restore abilities in GlassFish for V3.
If you have desires/needs/suggestions on Backup Restore features, now is the time to let us know. Just leave a comment!
- Increase granularity -- i.e. allow selecting one or more of the 4 kinds of deployed "things"
- backup JavaEE modules
- backup JavaEE apps
- backup lifecycle modules
- backup mbeans
- backup configuration
- backup nodeagents and instances
- backup EVERYTHING -- the entire GlassFish installation
Customized Rules -
- Exclude certain files and/or directories from the backup
- Specify whether or not to backup symbolic link directories recursively
- Define other things to backup -- e.g. databases
- This is very useful when you have a big GlassFish system that doesn't change too often. You can have the security of frequent backups without using up huge amounts of disk space.
- Continuous Configuration Backup - backup domain.xml every time it changes and keep the last, say, 10 versions
- Automatically backup the previous version of every app and module
Specifying the above details via, say, an xml file could be rather painful. We can develop a GUI for doing customized Backup or Restore immediately. Even better, the GUI would make it easier to specify everything and then produce an xml file that can be used in an automated manner.