By Daniel Mortimer-Oracle on Dec 19, 2013
What is RDA?
Not familiar with RDA (Remote Diagnostic Agent)? Learn more, take a look at :
- Resolve Problems Faster! Use Remote Diagnostic Agent - Fusion Middleware [ID 1498376.1]
The Perl Problem
RDA is written in perl. If RDA cannot find Perl 5.005 or above, you may see one of the following messages:
Error: ORACLE_HOME is not set
Please set your ORACLE_HOME.
Error: Perl not found in the PATH or in known folder locations.
Although the default RDA engine requires Perl, a compiled version without Perl requirements is available.
Please download the platform-specific RDA engine from My Oracle Support and place it within the top folder of your RDA installation.
To work around you can configure RDA to use a compiled binary engine. The compiled engine is available for most platforms and is shipped as part of the RDA / OCM bundle. Find the engine binary in "RDA_HOME/engine".
Good news! RDA 8.02 auto-enables the compiled engine
The recently released RDA 8.02 automatically enables the compiled engine should RDA determines Perl is not available, accessible or valid. If you are reading this blog, having experienced the messages above or other perl errors, the likelihood is that you are using an older version of RDA. Upgrade to 8.02 now to benefit from this enhancement and others!
Earlier versions of RDA require the compiled engine to be manually enabled if RDA is not able to use Perl.
How to Manually Enable the Remote Diagnostic Agent ( RDA ) Compiled Engine .. [ID 1603021.1]
Using RDA 8.02 and the perl problem described above still reproduces? Check the following:
1. Does "RDA_HOME/engine" contain a compiled engine binary (rda_<platform> e.g rda_linux) and a rda.cfg.
- You may have downloaded RDA standalone rather than the RDA / OCM Bundle. Or, you are working on a platform for which no compiled engine is available.
2. Does the os user have read / write privileges to:
- the directory from which they are launching the RDA command script
- the RDA_HOME/engine/rda.cfg
3. Are you able to manually enable the compiled engine as per the instructions given in [ID 1603021.1]