Benefits of SOA Integration
By email@example.com on Nov 04, 2009
Before we can define benefits of SOA integration, let define how typical application and data integration pattern.
Typical Application Integration
- Applications typically interact through APIs
- Decoupling is typically accomplished by publishing events
- Traditional EAI approaches create point-to-point (and tightly coupled) integration using proprietary middleware
Typical Application and Data Integration
- Applications need detailed understanding of other applications' data models, formats, constraints, rules, and/or application logic
- Typically creates point to point, tightly coupled integration
What does SOA offer?
- Applications integrate by invoking business services
- New composite services/applications leverage existing services through service orchestration
- Decoupling achieved through careful service contract design, governance, and service virtualization
- SOA uses standards-based integration technologies
What are the typical SOA success criteria?
- Effectiveness and efficiency of Business-Level Services that are architected, designed and implemented
- Reuse Percentage
- Loose Coupling
- Frequency of Service Contract Changes