By eschrock on Nov 10, 2008
It takes more than a single engineering team to put together a product as large and complicated as the Sun Storage 7000 series. While we developed the appliance software, we relied on countless others to build the base technology in Solaris, test our software, and the countless other jobs required to bring a product to market. While there are obviously too many to name everyone in one post, what follows is a (woefully incomplete) list of those who went above and beyond the call of duty in helping us make this project a reality:
- Our test team, without which our product would barely work. Special thanks to Bryan Haskins for leading the effort, and the clustering A-team (Mike Harsch, Karen Methfessel, Dan Atherton, Mark Butler, and others) for the extra long hours down the stretch.
- The ZFS team, for tirelessly implementing our RFEs and fixing the bugs found by our test team. A special shout out to Matt Ahrens for making remote replication possible, Mark Maybee for whipping the ARC into shape (and leading the ZFS team with Matt), and Neil Perrin for making logzilla a reality.
- The iSCSI team, for making the iSCSI target implementation rock solid while still working on the next generation storage target infrastructure. Thanks especially to Tim Szeto for his push to quash bugs in the waning months of development.
- The CIFS team, for all their work in creating a robust, scalable CIFS server. Special thanks for Afshin Salek, Natalie Li, Jose Borrego, Alan Wright, and Nico Williams for their tireless debugging efforts.
- The NDMP team, for their hard work on our many RFEs and bugs. Thanks especially to Reza Sabdar and Barry Greenberg.
- Roch Bourbonnais and the PAE team, who did terrific work that yielded a much higher-performing product.
- Rob Johnston from the FMA team, who did the legwork to get power supplies and fans into libtopo.
- Our beta and early eval customers, for helping us focus on what really matters, and keeping our queue full of cool RFEs.
- Our spouses, kids, families, and significant others, for bearing with us in the final weeks(/months/years) and supporting us throughout the project.
For those of you we forgot, do not fear. We are grateful for every contribution, no matter how small, that helped us create this truly revolutionary product line.