Get it whilst it's hot!
By Peter Buckingham on Dec 10, 2008
OpenSolaris 2008.11 is available right now. There has been tremendous work by the OpenSolaris Team to get this ready and usable. I use OpenSolaris everyday on my laptop. I definitely come across a few growing pains (see my blog), but there is an amazing rate of improvement. This makes Solaris look and feel like a modern development Operating System.
There are a definite bunch of changes and improvement to the core OS. COMSTAR is now shipping as part of the core OpenSolaris. There are several highlights from the storage community:
- COMSTAR and Fiber Channel target support
- ZIL + L2ARC support for ZFS (support for separate read and write caches especially to utilise FLASH/SSD)
- NPIV (virtualisation of FC ports)
- MMS (Media Management System)
- Multipathing for Tape
- Storage FMA
- NFS over RDMA
- CIFS significant performance improvement over 2008.05
We also created a few meta-packages for storage:
- All storage packages
I strongly encourage everyone to go and check it out. The CD can be run as a live CD so you don't need to futz around with your disk to try it.