By Fat Bloke on Nov 19, 2010
For the interested and curious, Oracle released a new platform this week: Oracle Solaris 11 Express is Solaris NextGen (FatBloke's term, not Oracle's ). It has lots of cool new features including a new Image Packaging System which I tried out as part of the Automated Installation.
In a nutshell here's how I used the Automated Installation method:
- I chose the smaller Automated Installer iso from the download page
- Created a new vm in VirtualBox using OS Type of Solaris and memory of 1024MB;
- Started up the vm and point the First Run Wizard at the local Automated Installer iso we just downloaded in 1.;
- Followed the on-screen Solaris installation instructions, and it pulled extra packages from the default Solaris repository over the internet.
- Don't forget to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Solaris for a smoother and faster experience.
Here's the end result (click to enlarge):
Pretty slick, huh?