So it's been a while since my KMDB post, but I promised I would do some investigation into kernel debugging on the Linux side. Keep in mind that I have no Linux kernel experience. While I will try to be thorough in my research, there may be things I miss simply from lack of experience or a good test system. Feel free to comment on any errors or omissions.
We'll try to solve the same problem that I approached with KMDB in the last post: a deadlock involving reader-writer locks. Linux has a choice of two debuggers, kdb and kgdb (though User Mode Linux presents interesting possibilities). In this post I'll be taking a look at KDB.
Chances are you're not running a Linux kernel with KDB installed. Some distros (like Debian) make it easier to download and apply the patch, but none seems to include it by default (admittedly, I didn't do a very thorough search). This means you'll have to go download the patch, apply it, tweak some kernel config variables (CONFIG_KDB and CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER), recompile/reinstall your kernel, and reboot. Hopefully you've done all this beforehand, because as soon you reboot you've lost your bug (possibly forever - race conditions are fickle creatures). Assuming you were running a kdb-enabled kernel when you hit this bug, you then run:
# echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/kdb
And then press the 'pause' key on your keyboard. Alternatively, you can hook up a serial console, but I'll opt for the easy way out.
First, we need to find the pid our offending process. The only way to do this is to use the 'ps' command to display all processes on the system, and then pick out (visually) which pid belongs to our 'ps' process. Once we have this information, we can then use 'btp <pid>' to get a stack trace.
This step is very similar to the one we took when using kmdb. The stack trace produced by 'btp' includes frame pointers like kmdb's $C. Looking back over my kmdb post, it wasn't immediately clear where I got that magic starting number - it came from the frame pointer in the (verbose) stack trace. In any case, we use 'id <addr>' to disassemble the code around our call site. We then use 'mdr <addr+offset>' to examine the memory where the original value is saved. This gets much more interesting (painful) on amd64, where arguments are passed in registers and may not get pushed on the stack until several frames later.
At this point, the next step should be "Find who owns the reader lock." But I can't find any commands in the kdb manpages that would help us determine this. Without kmdb's ::kgrep, we're stuck searching for a needle in a haystack. Somewhere on this system, one or more threads have referenced this rwlock in the past. Our only course of action is to try 'bta', which will give us a stack trace of every single process on the system. With a deep understanding of the code, a great deal of persistence, and a little bit of luck, we may be able to pick out the offending stack just by sight. This quickly becomes impractical on large systems, not to mention difficult to verify and prone to error.
With KDB we can do some basic debugging tasks, but it still relies on giant "leaps of faith" to correlate two pieces of seemingly disjoint data (two thread involved in a deadlock, for example). As a point of comparison, KDB provides 40 different commands, while KMDB provides 771 (356 dcmds and 415 walkers on my current desktop). Next week I'll look at kgdb and see if it fills in any of these gaps.