Friday Aug 15, 2008
Friday Dec 21, 2007
By Eric Reid-ISV Engineering-Oracle on Dec 21, 2007
I posted final numbers today as to how Drupal 5 performs on a small Sun server, comparing Solaris 10 to SLES 10 (two of the OS offerings available from Sun on this server). The intent of this test was to see how Drupal behaved under increasing load (in this case, Guest hits on the Main Page). I'm pleased to report that Solaris (with the latest CoolStack) appears to provide better throughput, better response time, and lower incidence of 'Server Busy' errors under load.
Let me, at this point, state for the record.. yes, I would have published these results even if the outcome had been the other way 'round. One of the rules we live by in Sun ISV Engineering Open Source is that of transparency. If we set out to test something, it's to determine and share the reality, not the spin. We had a hunch that CoolStack would provide a huge performance improvement, but that was only a hunch. I'm sure that, at some point in the future, we could also find that a well-tuned Drupal-on-LAMP offering meets or beats this Solaris performance - it is, after all, the same hardware.
Tuesday Dec 18, 2007
Wednesday Nov 14, 2007
By Eric Reid-ISV Engineering-Oracle on Nov 14, 2007
Finally got around to trying the OpenSolaris Developer Preview (aka Project Indiana) this morning... it's cool, it's partial, it's a step in the Right Direction... what really caught my eye was that I could place this CD-sizes image on USB Flash Drives and Boot Live... and it Just Worked in seconds... although on my Toshiba Satellite A205:
1) Sound doesn't work
2) Time of day wasn't correct (or asked for initially)
But, really, it's not disappointing at all for Preview 1... I like it!
Wednesday Oct 03, 2007
Monday Sep 24, 2007
By Eric Reid-ISV Engineering-Oracle on Sep 24, 2007
OK... so... this doesn't have NVidia or ATI graphics (it's Intel GMA 950), but when I installed Nevada b73 this weekend, it went fairly well. The exceptions:
- 10/100 Ethernet: the skge driver from SysKonnect works, modulo some tweaking in the /etc/driver_aliases file.
- Intel 4965 abgn wireless: not yet supported [Update: the recently-released 4965 OpenSolaris driver does not yet support this card]
- Intgrated Audio: not yet supported [Update: thanks to Pradhap for pointing me to the OSS driver on Solaris.. it works!]
Main Sequence: 1) an astronomy term denoting the lifecycle of a majority of known stars. 2) err @ Sun/Oracle: long-time (since 1988) Sun/Oracle veteran, still shining in an ever-changing high-tech universe
- Long Command Lines Hidden No More. Hallelujah!
- The Home Office, circa 2016
- Lots more FOSS added to Solaris 11!
- Recent SPARC/Solaris Security Blog Posts
- Security - It's Not Just About Keeping Your Password Safe Anymore
- SPARC M7 Software In Silicon - Useful Webinar
- Solaris Home Fileserver - The Next Generation
- T5 -It's Coming
- New version of Oracle Solaris Pre-Flight Application Checker
- Attention Developers: Announcing a New Solaris Webinar Series