Doing the remote work thang
By EricReid-Oracle on Aug 12, 2004
I've worked for Sun since 1988... since 1996 I've done it from back here in my hometown of Richland, Michigan... remotely... it's not for everyone, and many jobs do not lend themselves to it... there's more travel than my peers, more 3AM calls, more likelihood of the 'dog eating my homework', letting go of the importance of promotions and 'climbing the ladder'...
And I'd not change it for a thing...
In April 1996, I settled in to my home office with a PowerMac 7100/66, a 128KB/s ISDN line (which turned out costing about $3K/month!) and one phone line. A succession of SPARC-based desktops, X86-based laptops, and connection technologies have come and gone since then. As of August 2004, my setup includes:
- Toshiba Tecra 9100 laptop, running Java Desktop System 2; external LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse
- Lexmark Z51 inkjet printer (via CUPS/lx5000)
- Sun Ultra 80 4-way workstation in storage
- Derated ADSL service running about 380K/s down, 165K/s up ($80/month)
- 2-line 900MHz wireless phone
- Kyocera 5135 cellphone (still drying out after it's third dip in the lake
- (Future) Homebrew AMD64-based box running Solaris X86
Curious about working from home? Have your own horror stories? Drop me a line!