Xcel Energy Accurately Predicts Resource Requirements Five Years in Advance with Enterprise Project Management
By Melissa Centurio Lopes on Feb 19, 2013
- Ensure on-time, on-budget completion of capital projects, including large transmission expansion initiatives
- Accurately project capital spend, especially during the resource-intensive construction phase of large projects
- Gain the ability to effectively plan for the specialized resources―including engineers and the trades―required to complete infrastructure projects, including the CapX2020 transmission expansion initiative
- Enabled the company to effectively manage a rapidly growing capital project budget and upwards of 100,000 activities associated with its 2,500 annual projects
- Allowed the company to identify well in advance that it would require 1,000 resources over the next five years―and the specific types of resources required in engineering, siting, permitting, controls, and construction―and plan ahead to avoid delays and overages
- Projected capital spend within plus or minus 2% of forecasts for the last five years
- Created an enterprise-wide, integrated project schedule that enables the team to effectively coordinate resources and tasks to avoid delays and overages and successfully manage grid
Xcel Energy selected Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management because the industry standard best met its requirements for a robust solution that could span multiple operating companies and provide visibility into projects, enterprise-wide. The solution also delivers advanced resource load and management capabilities, which were also essential to Xcel Energy. Further, many of the company’s partners were already using the industry-leading system, accelerating on boarding and collaboration.
Read the complete customer success story here.