E.ON New Build & Technology Increases Profitability, Reduces Risks by Streamlining Engineering and Construction Projects
By Melissa Centurio Lopes on May 20, 2013
E.ON New Build & Technology GmbH—global unit of the world’s largest, investor-owned utility company, Germany’s E.ON SE—is a leading engineering and construction firm. The company unites excellence in project management, project delivery, and engineering to support the entire E.ON Group with advanced engineering services and technology competence. E.ON New Build & Technology is engineering a cleaner and better future for E.ON by delivering world-class solutions that it has seen through, from ideas to reality. E.ON New Build & Technology is the central hub for research and development activities within the E.ON Group, enabling further development of sustainable, low-carbon-energy technologies and broadening E.ON’s geographical footprint with new market development.
- Manage more than 100 engineering and construction projects, annually, with increased efficiency—ranging from small projects, such as power transformer maintenance, to very large projects, such as the turnkey construction of thermal, coal-fired, or nuclear power plants.
- Facilitate proactive project management by providing actual project status information and ad-hoc, root-cause analysis to strengthen decision-making and mitigate project risks.
- Provide accurate project performance forecasts to meet hand-over dates and avoid project budget overruns—usually caused by numerous change requests, which on average cost between US$10,000 and US$100,000 per request.
- Deployed Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management to prioritize, schedule, execute, and monitor engineering projects with earned-value analysis and E.ON-specific adaptations—from the construction of entire power plants to the maintenance of power transformers, involving up to several thousand workers, across dozens of teams per project.
- Enabled assessing E.ON-specific project management environments, as well as developing and implementing procedures that make project scheduling, execution, and monitoring more efficient.
- Reduced dependency on engineering, procurement, and construction firms by facilitating end-to-end control over projects and subprojects, helping the company to run complex projects, such as a set of 1,100 megawatt thermal power plants with more than 50 lots, by coordinating interfaces among subcontractors and the general planner.
“We decided to implement Oracle’s Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management over Microsoft Project and Power Project because P6 proved to be an expert system, handling large data volumes much better than its competitors and offering a stable and centralized scheduling environment. The use of various layout and filtering criteria was also highly appreciated,” said Heinrich Genent, project scheduling, E.ON New Build & Technology GmbH.
Read the full customer story here.