5 Reasons to Upgrade from AutoVue 19.x to 20.1.1
By Jeffrey Chapman on Jan 04, 2012
In the world of software, there is one thing that every application has in common: Updates.
Although perhaps debatable, it seems like we all wind up with more and more applications on our PCs, more server-side solutions that ultimately do different things for us. And let's be honest: Upgrading enterprise software can be a pain. So, why do it?
Occasionally, I come across customers who are using older versions of AutoVue, like a 19.3.x flavour. With AutoVue, there happen to be a number of very compelling reasons why upgrading to the current version (AutoVue 20.1.1) is worth your valuable time. I'm going to give you five right now, because that's probably all you need.
- It's Really Easy: Upgrading enterprise software can be time-consuming job. This usually translates into costs, which is often reason enough to hit the brakes on an update. Fortunately, upgrading AutoVue is probably the easiest, among enterprise software applications, that I've seen to date. The AutoVue installer will take you 90-100% of the way there with most upgrades, with only the occasional INI option or JAR file to update. It's easy. Really easy.
- We Got Guys with Capes: Although they're metaphorical capes, these capes do have a big "S" on them. I'm talking about Oracle Support. I've worked with the AutoVue experts in Oracle Support for years, and each one earned this cape. On the off chance that you do have a question or problem, these diligent and knowledgeable people will get you sorted out fast.
- Formats, Formats, Formats: This one probably goes without saying, but... well, the applications we use to author all the files we generate get updated. The file formats change, and being able to view and markup the newer stuff still needs to be possible. Keeping up to date with AutoVue is the only way to do this.
- Whoa, That's New: Beyond file formats, we also make a point to introduce new features in the product. Bi-directional online/offline capabilities, 3D walkthrough, and our framework for Augmented Business Visualization were all incorporated after 19.3.x. These features are there to improve efficiency and provide business value, things that I'm sure we all want.
- Better, Faster, Stronger: Performance, robustness, and fidelity. We make the product tangibly better in these areas, release after release. This, to me, is a no-brainer.
So there you have it. Five good reasons to upgrade. Got others? Please comment!