To tune ADF application, we need to know exactly what is the reason
for performance bottleneck. In Red Samurai we are helping our customer
to be happy with ADF. How we do that? Yes - hard quality work (and no
bla bla talking) is one of the most important things. But also we use
tools - one of such tools is in house developed ADF Runtime Performance
Before blaming ADF is slow, make sure to check the way
data is retrieved from DB, also SQL execution performance. I agree, its
not always easy to monitor DB/SQL performance for ADF applications. This
is the main reason we have developed this tool.
Our tool splits
into two parts - Audit Engine (6 KB JAR file) and Performance Audit
Dashboard. Customer application needs to include only Audit Engine, the
rest happens as magic - information about slow SQL starts to come to
dashboard automatically. Tool is universal and runs in development, test
and production environments.
Performance Audit Dashboard interface:
Main areas for performance bottleneck and tuning related to DB/SQL in ADF:
1. SQL time execution in DB. While SQL executes, ADF waits for response - we want as fast SQL execution as possible.
2. Duplicate SQL execution. Obviously we want to avoid duplicate SQL execution.
SQL count query execution. ADF invokes separate SQL count query to
estimate rowset size, this may slow down performance for complex
4. Resultset Fetch size. When
fetching lots of records from DB, ADF is using more memory to create and
maintain rowset, this potentially slows down application.
5. Passivation/Activation time. One of the slowest operations - need to monitor and avoid as much as possible.
Performance Audit Dashboard offers two charts for performance audit overview:
1. Type of Issues pie chart with selection in time
2. Monthly Issues tracking linear chart
List with issues displays:
1. Issue type
2. SQL execution time
3. Issue details
4. Issue date
5. Application/View Object name related to the issue
6. User name, ADF Web user who was triggering SQL from ADF application
Details section displays more detailed info, such as SQL query or complete info about large rowset fetch.
There is option to change audit parameters on the fly.
We are on track to innovate and improve ADF applications quality, this tool is newest addition to our other tools:
1. Red Samurai MDS Cleaner V2.0
2. JDeveloper 11g Extension to Validate ADF Code Quality
Red Samurai Performance Audit is available free of charge (existing/future Red Samurai customers).
For more information please visit: Red Samurai blog & twitter
WebLogic Partner Community
For regular information become a member in the WebLogic Partner Community please visit: http://www.oracle.com/partners/goto/wls-emea ( OPN account required). If you need support with your account please contact the Oracle Partner Business Center.
Blog Twitter LinkedIn Mix Forum Wiki