BI 3.0 - The Consumerization of Business Intelligence
By Grant Schofield on Mar 09, 2012
Attached is a useful and well written article for our partners to consider using with customers & prospects to provide some positioning and guidance around why Oracle Endeca Information Discovery is such a powerful complement to their existing BI strategy.
It provides an agnostic overview of this emerging trend in the BI market towards what has recently been called "BI 3.0", as well as explaining what is behind the various labels such as Data Discovery, Advanced Visualization, Visual Analytics, Business Discovery, Self Serve Business Intelligence, and Agile BI.
- Business users are demanding intuitive BI interfaces, in line with the internet experience they are accustomed to, like Google searches or iPhone apps
- The current low BI utilization rate of about 5% does not provide many companies an acceptable return on their Business Intelligence investment
- 50% of self serve BI purchasing decisions take place in the business areas and not in IT
- In-memory techniques allow digestion of huge amounts of information in seconds, what analysts are calling “analysis at the speed of thought” i.e. answers to business questions can be found without interrupting the train of thought
- Visual Analytics packages are not replacing traditional BI in large organizations but complementing them. They provide fast analytical capabilities to more people that need to gain a competitive edge in the current fast changing market dynamics
- The new BI generation of tools is taking analytics to a whole new level, hence the triple digit growth rate experienced by many of these tools