By edwingo on Mar 16, 2008
The project I work on requires me to deploy to an OpenSolaris-based machine. However, the machine is going to be moved to another location which means it could be down for a week, so I thought I would take the time to set up a virtual machine (VM) using VMware Fusion on my Mac. It seemed like a good idea, particularly since I've worked with hypervisors like Fusion in my last project. Unfortunately, the app is quite large so it did not work out too well. I started with SXDE 1/08 and after provisioning it with all the needed software and deploying the apps into glassfish, the VM ended up slowing down and its size ended up approaching 18GB! Hopefully, the next iteration of the app will be consolidating several apps into a smaller number so it might eventually work.
I intend to write more about my experience. For example, I started writing some info on how to get the latest Java Desktop System (JDS) to run in the VNC server that comes pre-installed. See this link. Thanks go to the people in the OpenSolaris forums that helped me figure it out.