Guest Author: Vasu Rao
Customers are upgrading to EBS Release 12.2 to benefit from new features such as online patching, enhanced functional capabilities, and the new technology stack that includes Oracle WebLogic Server.
The Application Management Suite for Oracle E-Business Suite product is part of the Oracle Enterprise Manager product family. It can help with the various pre-upgrade and post-upgrade operations you'll need to undertake as you implement Release 12.2. It also provides help with management of the new environment.
Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2 Management Capabilities
Application Management Suite includes system management, change management and performance monitoring features that can be used with supported Oracle E-Business Suite releases. Several features are built specifically for managing Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2 environments.
One set of features manage patch deployment using Online Patching:
New Features in Change Management
- Customizations Discovery and Inventory Reporting: You can create a catalogue of the customizations in your E-Business Suite environments.
- Online Patching Readiness: Run Readiness Reports check your customizations against Online Patching standards. These reports can be viewed directly from the graphical user interface.
- Online Patching Automation: You can deploy Oracle-delivered patches or custom patches using a simplified automated patching process. One EBS 12.2 customer reduced their patching time by up to 80% when compared to online patching using command line options. Application Management Suite automates the online patching process, promoting patches from pre-production to production systems. You can search the patches applied and view the patch worker logs online.
- Patch Recommendations: Generate reports on E-Business Suite application patches, database patches and application tier patches that are recommended for a given E-Business Suite environment. This feature eliminates the need for DBAs to research patches in My Oracle Support and then manually checking if those patches have been applied to a specific E-Business Suite instance.
- Scale in/Scale out: Adding or removing applications managed servers using command line options can be time-consuming. The Instance Administration User Interface provides a simple method to automate this process, saving time and simplifying the scaling in or scaling out of managed applications servers.
New Features in System Management
- Technology Stack Monitoring: Application Management Suite can monitor multiple E-Business Suite 12.2 targets and their associated technology stack components. You can drill down into technology stack components (e.g. Oracle WebLogic Server) for additional configuration, status and performance metrics.
- Health Checks:
- Configuration Management and Compliance Standards management can be used to ensure E-Business Suite systems are healthy and operating as expected. You can check the health of technology configurations by monitoring and managing configurations. You can use Application Management Suite to compare technical configurations, technology stack versions, patches and customizations between two or more E-Business Suite instances, or from snapshots from two different time periods for the same instance. You can also compare run and patch editions before, during or after patching.
- Compliance Standards allows you check security standards, industry standards, regulatory standards, mandatory database settings standards and any user-defined standards. You can receive notifications in the event of any changes, and in certain cases eliminate the need for manual intervention by automating the corrective actions required.
- Service Test Infrastructure allows you to schedule tests to check the status and performance of various application components. For example, a service test can automatically check the login status of E-Business Suite environments by simulating a user login each morning (or any other desired time).
Using Application Management Suite during Pre and Post-upgrade Phases of an E-Business Suite 12.2 upgrade
The primary purpose of Application Management Suite is to monitor and manage multiple E-Business Suite targets. For the purposes of your upgrade project, these E-Business Suite targets may be test, development, QA or any other pre-production environments. During the implementation stage, you can rely on availability and performance of these pre-production systems for functional testing, development and user acceptance, or to simulate production scenarios such as period end closing. Pre-upgrade projects typically require engagement from large numbers of technical resources including DBAs, helpdesk personnel, developers and other contractors. Productivity of these resources can be increased by using the advanced automation capabilities of the Application Management Suite during the pre-upgrade implementation process.
After the upgrade is complete, Application Management Suite can be used for monitoring the E-Business Suite technology stack, automating the online patching process, deploying customizations, cloning automation, and performance management.
The following is a summary of the various features of the Application Management Suite that can be used during the pre-upgrade and post-upgrade phases.
- Monitor pre-production test environments.
- Compare technology configurations including patches and customizations, run and patch editions.
- Discover inventory of EBS customizations
- Validate customization readiness for online patching.
- Automate cloning to clone instances for user acceptance or functional testing.
- Provision instances for testing, training or development.
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and automate load testing to test availability and performance of systems.
- Monitor the new technology stack.
- Implement change control, with a multiple-hierarchical approval process.
- Provide patch recommendations for EBS applications and technology stack.
- Reduce the complexity of the online patching process.
- Promote patches and customizations across EBS instances.
- Automate cloning for periodic cloning activities.
- Administer instances to scale in/scale out managed servers.
- Provide performance management and diagnostic capabilities.