I recently wrote about the eternal dilemma of the Apps system implementer: whether it's worth customizing the E-Business Suite or not
. Customizations and extensions introduce the challenge of deploying your customizations between multiple development, QA, and production environments. Our new Application Change Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite has the potential to help to with that, and a few other notable systems management tasks, too.
The Application Change Management Pack is one of the most-interesting new lifecycle management products released recently from our Applications Technology Group. The Application Change Management Pack is an optional add-on to the Application Management Pack. The Application Management Pack is an Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control plug-in for the E-Business Suite.
The Application Change Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite (sometimes oddly referenced as "ACP" instead of "ACMP") has three noteworthy new capabilities:
- Customization Manager: Takes all files associated with a custom application, report or extension and bundles them into an Oracle patch. Standard AD utilities can then be used to apply the patch to different Apps instances.
- Patch Manager: Auomates many of the manual tasks associated with applying EBS patches, as well automates installing patches in multiple EBS instances.
- Setup Manager: Automates the migration of configuration/setup data across instances. Provides over 300 functional APIs (AOL, Financials, Manufacturing, Distribution) for setup data management.
Ken Baxter and Biju Mohan covered the new Application Change Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite in detail in their OpenWorld 2009 session:
They discuss the following topics in this session:
Listening to the Session
- Use cases for managing E-Business Suite customizations
- New workflow when using the Customization Manager
- Use cases when patching multiple E-Business Suite environments
- New patching process when using the Patch Manager
- Defining a "Patch Run" to apply patches to multiple Apps environments in parallel
- Use cases for configuring E-Business Suite environments
- New process for transferring setups from one environment to another with the Setup Manager
- Example use case: rolling out "Sets of Books" to multiple instances
If you registered for OpenWorld, here's a link to the OpenWorld On Demand page
where you can download the presentation or listen to the live recording of this session.