Quinnsight: Oracle Revolutionizes its Flagship Database for Multitenant Clouds, August 2013
By uwes on Aug 07, 2013
On June 25th QuinSight Research published a Technology Innovator Product Snapshot (TIPS) which covers Oracle Database 12c.
Here a brief summary of the report
- Oracle Database 12c is the most R&D Oracle has poured into its flagship database in decades.
- It's difficult to find a database other than 12c that: (a) directly addresses enterprise needs for private cloud and database consolidation without (b) forcing changes in application code or database schema.
- 12c offers flexible cloud-era OPEX licensing options
- 12c is truly multitenant cloud-capable - without forcing customers to change existing database implementations
- 12c use cases:
- (1) Dev, test, erp upgrades. Rapid/simple provisioning and cloning of databases
- (2) private cloud - fast provisioning via DBA constructed templates
- (3) SaaS - with a single container, plug in up to 252 PDBs - each containing totally separated data. For enterprise-class SaaS, 12c is a "potential game changer"
- (4) Consolidation - Customers interested in DB consolidation have an entirely new engine to consider with 12c that might acutally push them over the line to commence consolidation. Those already consolidating have an entirely new, and enhanced approach. And DBAs lives just got easier
- 12c delivers long term flexibility to port the database portion of the application anywhere, with minimal impact - on premis, private cloud, hybrid cloud.
- Integration is almost assured. Customers don't need to change schema or code.
Link to Research note
Read the complete report Oracle Revolutionizes its Flagship Database for Multitenant Clouds for more details.