The Last Tide of the Software Freedom Day Wave
By Dwarakanath J on Oct 16, 2008
Software Freedom week at SASTRA University, Thanjavur was a great success.We reached out many people all over the Campus including post graduate candidates and Faculties.
The working Experience for this event was indeed beautiful.I had requested 20 people to organise this event with me.
We started the process of preparation a fortnight before and we decided upon events and also made publicity all over the campus.
The Init() Process :
The celebrations requires some initial step.They were
- Poster Making
- ID card Generation
- Permissions for Help Desks
- Website for the Event
- Circular on this to all the Staff members
All these initial steps gave me some confidence to start the event on a big way
What all services were given in the week?
We have planned for various services to be given to the people at Campus.
- Installation Points
- We had more than forty installation points all over the campus which include hostel rooms for the organizers along with their contact nos.It also had list of softwares that will be installed and so on.
- Special Faculty Attention
- Faculties other than the Computer Science Department had a very little exposure on the open source software.So as a result I thought to reach out to them to help them with the Software which they require.This include software like Open office (for english teachers) , gnu 8085 and so on.
- This brought a lot of publicity as the faculties response turned on to the students of other department
Sfd@SASTRA$Svcs -a | grep events:
Tech Talks and seminars are very integral part of the Software Freedom Week So we conducted a week long session during the Week pulling out a lecture every eveninig at 5 pm.
- Software Freedom Week Orientation
- Ubuntu and Open Solaris Install Fest
- Netbeans Tech Talk
- Open Source Quiz
- Talk on MySql Contributions
- High performance Computing using Sun Studio.
Thanks to Thava Alagu(For Helping me with MySQL contributions talks and Angad for High Perfomance Computing).
I enjoyed every moment of the Software Freedom Week at SASTRA.It taught me many lessons
- Team Work
- Management of time
- Knowledge(Ver Important)
I enjoyed every moment of it and had fun with all the organisers many much things happened in that 7 days.
We did total of 600 installations of Open Source Softwares all over the Campus.