Upcoming Features on docs.sun.com
By Chris J. Mason on May 27, 2008
As part of the continuing mission of docs.sun.com to provide easy and straightforward access to Sun Microsystem's technical documentation we are currently working on the next release of the online application, currently called docs.sun.com 4.2.7. This new release contains features that will further improve how docs.sun.com works with search engines and add new controls to the interface for a n umber of frequently requested features.
The 4.2.7 release of docs.sun.com has three main themes:
- Better Searching
- Faster Information Access
- Increased Visibility of Localized Content [See also »]
To achieve these goals, a number of improvements are underway and should begin appearing on docs.sun.com over the next few weeks.
- Additional metadata is being added to all the pages served by docs.sun.com. This metadata will allow for search systems, including Sun's own Sun Search as well as many other search sites that cur rently index docs.sun.com content, to group and filter hit lists based upon your needs. For example, we will re-introduce the ability to limit search returns to specific collections of documents an d speed up your search activities.
- A number of requests have been submitted to us asking for the ability to rapidly download content from docs.sun.com, including document collections and sets about the many products that Sun offer s. You'll soon be able to download PDF file sets in zip format that including everything about a specific product, and install them locally for offline access to docs.sun.com content. Additionally, you can keep yourself informed about new content through RSS feeds detailing changes and additions to product documentation.
- Although docs.sun.com has had a large number of documents in languages other than English for many years, sometimes it can be a bit frustrating get to that content. We are introducing the ability to go from any of the dynamically generated documents on docs.sun.com to translations of those documents using a new menu on content pages.
- Note: Read More about this feature.
Look for these changes to be available in the middle of June, 2008. We continue to strive to make docs.sun.com one of the best product documentation sites on the web and welcome your feedback.~