Monday Dec 10, 2007

Hacking my T3

    I mentioned in a previous post that I had ordered a new higher capacity battery for My Palm T3 off eBay, but found I didn't immediately need it. Well, this weekend I finally succumbed to the thinking that I might as well benefit from the longer battery life now, rather than wait until my current original battery shows significant signs of decay. I had been gathering the battery and it's directions, which had wandered to different parts of the house, during the week, and took time to get started. Naturally, a full backup was in order. One of the reasons I had hesitated in the past is that for some reason, after a hard reset and restore, Diddlebug looses sync with the sound database, so anytime an alarm goes of, it crashes the T3. To resolve this, you have to go through the process of reselecting each alarm sound you have specified, and since I use Diddlebug for a variety of repeating alarms, mostly for chores, it takes a little extra effort. But the urge for a better T3 overcame that obstacle.

    The printed directions that came with the battery were really for Tungsten T, so once I was under way, I got a bit nervous and Googled T3 specific steps, finding a very nice writeup with pictures. A few deep breaths, and some careful prying later, I was in. Tada, here it is, in it's dissasembled glory:



    More careful prying, so I could re-use the double sided tape that holds the battery in place, and I had the new battery in place. Re-assembly was pretty straight forward, and the new battery had plenty of charge for me to verify everything was working OK. Start a restore, drop it in the charger cradle, and I'm back to where I was before I started, except with more power. Then, before Didlebug starts alarming me with crashes, I took the time to reset the sound pointers. 2 days later, and I'm pleased with the results. Next up in T3 work - rebuild from hard reset to figure out why Bluetooth to my RAZR has problems. Prior to the theft of my backup T3, I'm pretty sure I tested BT to RAZR with out any of my stuff on it, and it worked fine. So, something somewhere is amiss. While I have managed to do a lot more on my RAZR than I expected, I still miss some of the things my T3 could do accessing the Internet. :-(
About

A place where Perley Mears sounds off on topics relevant to his work at Oracle.

Search

Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today