Conquering LDAP Redeploy Errors By Using Them Up and Wearing 'Em Out

The lab machines reserved for us writers are none-too-current: hard drive size and RAM are not the correct specifications for deploying Glassfish, OpenSSO, and other agents/web services. Because of this I always have issues re-deploying a new OpenSSO WAR file successfully...until today (actually Friday but I'm writing this today).

When I undeploy the OpenSSO WAR, it leaves some processes running on Glassfish which don't allow for a new WAR to be deployed. (I've seen mainly LDAP and OpenDS errors.) I figured out that I can redeploy a new OpenSSO WAR if I have a new install of Glassfish - which puts the step where I have to jumpstart and wait for a new OS to be installed (and therefore wait for the lab guy to restart the DNS) in the trash. So follow this procedure to find the processes, kill them, uninstall Glassfish, and get it back up.

  1. Run jps at the command line.
    This is the command for discovering running Java processes.
  2. Kill any PELaunch processes you see using the kill -9 process-number command on the command line.
    See http://forums.java.net/jive/message.jspa?messageID=244886.
  3. Remove the glassfish directory.
  4. Start all over again using this blog entry.

Voila, I got the whole shebang up and running again. Not too pretty but it works.

And here is something else that works: a cover of (the late 70s dance group) Odyssey's excellent tune Use It Up and Wear It Out by early 90s disc jockeys Pat & Mick - as produced by PWL. Shake your body down!

Comments:

We have undeployed+deployed OpenSSO WAR several times but we do consists on deleting Glassfish domain where OpenSSO was deployed (of course, after undeploying OpenSSo and stopping this domain).
After that we remove "AccessManager" folder from our system files.
Maybe it could be necessary killing all Java processes as it's mentioned here.
Re-creating a Glassfish domain and deploying OpenSSO (with its corresponding configuration) should be enough to run OpenSSO properly.

Posted by Esteban on April 07, 2008 at 06:40 PM PDT #

That's what I thought also, Esteban, but deleting the domain didn't work for me. Neither did creating a new domain. Although if the whole issue is the processes maybe a new domain would work after I kill the processes.

Posted by DocTeger on April 08, 2008 at 12:27 AM PDT #

Post a Comment:
Comments are closed for this entry.
About

docteger

Search

Categories
Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today