Learning Trail for Visual Web Pack
By divas on Mar 21, 2007
If you take a look at the tutorials on our VWP tutorials index page, you'll note that the tutorials are organized by category. On this page, we've organized those same tutorials into four learning trails to help you find a tutorial based on your skill level. The first trail covers the basics of creating a visual web application. From there, you move onto more advanced (and quicker-paced) trails on components, databases, and Ajax.
Trail 1: Creating a Basic Web Application
If you are new to visual web application development, follow this trail through the tutorials. These tutorials cover the basics of web application and do not require any prior experience working with an integrated development environment (IDE). After you complete these tutorials, you should be able to create your own working application that accesses a database.
- Tutorial 1: Developing a Web Application
- Tutorial 2: Understanding Scope and Managed Beans
- Tutorial 3: Using Databound Components to Access a Database
- Tutorial 4: Setting Up Page Navigation
- Tutorial 5: Using Page Fragments
Trail 2: Learning More About Components and Databases
These tutorials go into the nitty-gritty details about components and databases and require a bit more programming knowledge. The final tutorial takes a little more time to complete as it covers the common (albeit advanced) scenario of creating a CRUD application. By the time you have completed this trail, you should be able to create a more sophisticated web application.
- Tutorial 1: Delving Into Components
- Tutorial 2: Using List Components
- Tutorial 3: Using the File Upload Component
- Tutorial 4: Using the Calendar Component
- Tutorial 5: Building a Tree From Database Data
- Tutorial 6: Performing Inserts, Updates, and Deletes
Trail 3: Putting Ajax Into Action
If you've come this far, you're ready to work with the Ajax components. These components can make your web application appear more responsive (due to asynchronous refreshes of the page).
- Tutorial 1: Downloading and Importing Ajax and Other Components
- Tutorial 2: Using the Ajax Text Completion Component
- Tutorial 3: Using the Ajax Progress Bar Component
- Tutorial 4: Using the Ajax Map Viewer Component
- Tutorial 5: Using the Ajax Rating Component
Trail 4: Working With Third-Party Software
This trail is for you if you want to extend outside the bounds of Visual Web Pack and work with either the Hibernate or JasperReports frameworks.
- Tutorial 1: Using Hibernate With NetBeans Visual Web Pack
- Tutorial 2: Generating Reports and PDFs From a Web Application