By Jeff Hoffman on May 21, 2009
Jeff Hoffman is the lead user experience designer for Java Standard Edition.
Hey There! JavaOne 2009 is almost here... The center of amazing developer activity will be the Moscone Center in San Francisco from June 2nd to 5th. Most of the exhibits and sessions highlight technology and the tools-of-the-trade for the Java developer set, however there is definitely content that is of interest to user experience designers.
I've made a list below of those sessions that are hosted by folks I know and respect. I heartily recommend checking them out. Make sure to add the ones you want to attend to your Schedule Builder since I expect that it may be hard to get in at the last minute.
- Ajax Versus JavaFX™ Technology (TS-5587)
- Ben Galbraith & Dion Almaer are an incredible combination with serious knowledge about Java and Ajax.
- Extreme GUI Makeover (TS-5575)
- This is always an enjoyable session about how to use Java and Swing to create competitive state-of-the-art user interfaces.
- Creating Compelling User Experiences (TS-5588)
- Ben presents an entertaining overview of the principles of great user experience design
- Move Your Users: Animation Principles for Great User Experiences (TS-4466)
- Romain Guy and Chet Haase are two of the most creative developers you will encounter...
- Swing Rocks: A Tribute to Filthy-Rich Clients (TS-5072)
- The speakers tell us that this session is for anyone curious about beautiful user interfaces... I am!
- Nimbus: Making Swing Look Sexy! (TS-5579)
- Jasper is the developer that brought the Nimbus design off the specification page and in to the Java developer's tool set.
- The New World: JavaFX™ Technology-Based UI Controls (TS-5578)
- The team that created the new JavaFX controls will tell you all about them!
- Meet the Java™ Posse (BOF-4418)
Of course, there are the BOFs that I and my designer cohorts are hosting. We want to engage developers in an open discussion on user experience issues, help answer questions and provide pointers to useful resources.
- Meet the Java™ and JavaFX™ User Experience Team (BOF-5152)
- Tuesday June 2 at 8:30pm, North Hall 124
- Make Your Users Happy: Creating JavaFX™ Environment User Experiences That Work (BOF-5150)
- Wednesday June 3 at 6:45pm, North Hall 124
I'm looking forward to seeing you at JavaOne 2009! Stop by the Designing the User Experience pod in the Pavilion to say hello, and come to one or both of the BOFs listed above.