Really, I want to know, so I'm taking a page out of Mary Mary's play book and offering you something in return. I want to hear what your best user experience has ever been with a product, service, or technology. You get to choose, just keep it rated "G". I will select my favorite submission, and in return, happily give you some of my prized Sun tchatchki ... I have a lot of it, because I've been here for nearly 12 years :) The picture below just has what I could grab in 30 seconds in my office.
Here's how it will work. You write to me (jenm at sun dot com), and briefly describe your best user experience with a consumer product, purchase, health care visit, or anything that describes an experience where you felt like, "Wow ... all [things like this] ought to be this fun or easy." I'll choose my favorite response, and in return I'll mail you an item from the picture above -- just tell me what you'd like the most. Here are the cool things up for grabs:
- A Jini champagne flute
- A real Java ring
- Lapel pins, featuring one of: Duke & Java, Jini & the lamp, 100% pure Java, Sun World Cup 1994, Happy 10th Birthday Java.
- A watch: either a ladies' Sun watch or a mens' java.rmi watch featuring Duke
- AnAmazing Adventures of Duke comic book from 1996, 16 pages
- A Duke for President poster
- A Duke for President magnet (that looks like a bumper sticker)
- A set of 3 (yes, 3!) Sun stickers with the tag lines, "When in doubt, share." "On the path less traveled, there are a lot fewer ruts." and "The road to innovation isn't paved at all."
- A 100% Pure Java keychain
So, send me mail. Let me know what your best user experience has been, and with your permission, I'll share it next week. With the holiday season upon us (choose whichever holiday suits you :), I'll keep asking questions, and offering up up new stuff.
Jen McGinn is an interaction designer in xDesign who is working to improve the user experience with software installation and registration. She has an MS in Human Factors in Information Design and works out of Sun's campus in Massachusetts.