- VCP 184.108.40.206 and Higher Certification Matrix Spreadsheet ASCP IO RP DRP SPP CP GOP APCC DM AFDM
- Demantra Upgrade Advisor 220.127.116.11 and more! MOS Note 1664177.2
- Demantra Release 18.104.22.168 Mandatory Patches Update
- Demantra 22.214.171.124 Install / Upgrade Mandatory Patch Update
- Demantra Upgrade To 126.96.36.199 - Advanced Queueing: ERROR: Failed to initialize notification queue for Engine Starter ID
- Demantra 12.2.1, 12.2.2, 12.2.3, 12.2.4, 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 Install Upgrade ADVISOR: Demantra (Doc ID 1664177.2
- Demantra 220.127.116.11 and In Memory Planning using Oracle RDBMS 12c Configure, Troubleshoot
- Upgrading to 18.104.22.168? There is a mandatory Patch Required 21959406. See below.
- Demantra 22.214.171.124 Upgrade Workflow Security Enhancements Callouts UTL_HTTP, URL and EBS
- Oracle Cloud IaaS is now available and has support for PRODUCTION Issues
Friday Dec 11, 2015
Friday Dec 04, 2015
Advanced Demantra Demand Management Training: Best Practices, Diagnostics, APIs, Series Locking, Launch Management, VCP Deployment, User Access Control + More!
By JeffG-Oracle on Dec 04, 2015
Hello! There is a new 10 module course that is available via MOS! This course is the Advanced Demantra Demand Management Training and covers: Best Practices, Diagnostics, APIs, Series Locking, Launch Management, VCP Deployment, User Access Control + More! There are even some quizzes!
Advanced Demantra Demand Management Training: Best Practices, Diagnostics, APIs, Series Locking, Launch Management, VCP Deployment, User Access Control + More! This is the Index to a 10 Part Course. (Doc ID 2085264.1)
Let me know what you think. Take Care! Jeff
Thursday Dec 03, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Dec 03, 2015
Hello! There is a new version of the Demantra Demand Management Performance and Setup Analyzer.
See MyOracleSupport note
Demantra Performance and Setup Analyzer Script and Monitoring Tool (7.3.1 and Above) (Doc ID 1618885.1)
Let us know if you have any comments. Comment here, in this BLOG, or follow the link to the Demantra Community where there is an existing thread ready for your comments/suggestions. Regards! Jeff
Monday Nov 23, 2015
Looking for 126.96.36.199 Install Guide, System Requirements, Implementation Guide and User Guides? See Below
By JeffG-Oracle on Nov 23, 2015
Hello! The guides can be found at the following URL. They have been updated where required.
Doc 443969.1 will be updated as soon as possible.
Wednesday Nov 18, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Nov 18, 2015
Hello! There is a new version of the Demantra Analyzer.
See the latest in this MOS note: 1618885.1
See the overview doc here: 2079537.1
There are additional data points, a new format that is easier to review. Additional comprehensive verification! Give it a try!
Wednesday Oct 21, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Oct 21, 2015
Hello! Demantra does not have version 12.2.5 available. Demantra provides 188.8.131.52 with a mandatory patch 21959406.
Please see MOS notes 2068456.1 and 2068458.1.
It is best to keep ASCP and Demantra at the same level but not 100% required unless otherwise advised. Regards! Jeff
Monday Oct 19, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Oct 19, 2015
See the Information Center Overview and Alerts: Oracle Demand Management (Demantra) (Doc ID 1400486.2)
From this link you can click into the VCP Information Center Master Index or drill into the Demant White Papers and Topical Essays.
Wednesday Oct 07, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Oct 07, 2015
Hello! If you have upgraded to version 184.108.40.206 there is a mandatory patch:
Oracle Demantra Post Release 220.127.116.11 Mandatory Patch Application - Patch 19945449, patch 1960180.1.
Demantra 18.104.22.168, new required patch 19945449, ARU# 18420277, Demantra patch 12240066 - is now available.
It was discovered that the engine throws a segmentation fault while running CDP consumption profile.
Please see the additional information in the readme Notes:
Please refer to Oracle Support note 453127.1 if more then 1 instance of Demantra is installed on the same machine.
If you are using a WAR file to deploy the application to the web server, recreate and redeploy the WAR file after applying the patch on the centralized machine, in order to ensure the changes made by the patch are propagated to the web server.
It is necessary to clear the Java Plug-in cache on the client machine in order to ensure the changes made by this patch are loaded by the browser.
To clear the Java Plug-in cache click Start -> Control Panel -> Double-click the Java icon in the control panel.
Then Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files section -> Delete Files.
Monday Oct 05, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Oct 05, 2015
Hello! A customer brought patch 21089579 to my attention. Please consider this a mandatory patch if you are importing data. This will help you avoid duplicate rows during the import process. If you have this issue after importing data please note that as these are only descriptive values I would expect the data load process to synchronize them on the next data load. The level table descriptions should be updated to match with the staging table after the EP_LOAD_ITEMS and EP_LOAD_LOCATIONS procedures complete.
Please apply this patch if you are on Demantra Version: 7.3.1.x to 12.2.x
Bug 20455336 - AFTER APP UPGRADE SITE_TYPE_CODE AND ACCT_TYPE_CODE COLUMNS HAVE WRONG DEFAULTS
Fixed in 22.214.171.124
* Please note that this patch does not remove any existing "duplicate" rows in ITEMS, LOCATION, MDP_MATRIX or SALES_DATA.v
Monday Sep 21, 2015
Monday Aug 24, 2015
How to avoid ORA-06512 and ORA-20000 when Concurrent Statistics Gathering is enabled. New in 12.1 Database, Concurrent Statistics Gathering, Simultaneous for Multiple Tables or Partitions
By JeffG-Oracle on Aug 24, 2015
Oracle Database 12.1 introduces a new feature, Concurrent Statistics Gathering.
Concurrent statistics collection is simply the ability to gather statistics on multiple tables, or table partitions, at the same time. When CONCURRENT statistics gathering is enabled, you can execute each statistics gathering job in parallel. This combination is useful when you need to analyze large tables, partitions, or subpartitions. This is accomplished using a combination of the job scheduler, advanced queuing and resource manager. Concurrent statistics collection can reduce the time it takes to gather statistics, provided the system can accommodate the extra workload.
Functionality wise, it is a way to gather stats on multiple tables, table partitions or subpartitions at the same time.
From a user perspective, the concurrent statistics collection functionality is very simple. You set the CONCURRENT global preference to the required value using the DBMS_STATS package. The RDBMS determines if concurrency is appropriate and if so, the level of concurrency to use.
See MOS Note: 2034376.1, How to avoid ORA-06512 and ORA-20000 when Concurrent Statistics Gathering is enabled. New in 12.1 Database, Concurrent Statistics Gathering, Simultaneous for Multiple Tables or Partitions
Tuesday Jun 30, 2015
Upgrading Demantra 7.3.1.x to 12.2.x can produce duplicate rows. There are two ways to solve this issue.
By JeffG-Oracle on Jun 30, 2015
Upgrading Demantra 7.3.1.x to 12.2.x can produce duplicate rows. There are two ways to solve; apply 21089579 before your upgrade to 12.2.x or wait for 126.96.36.199. The platform upgrade resolves this issue in 188.8.131.52. Apply this patch before your upgrade from 7.3.1.x to 12.2.x. After an application upgrade SITE_TYPE_CODE, SITE_TYPE_DESC, ACCT_TYPE_CODE, ACCT_TYPE_DESC columns do not have a default '0'. Please note that this patch does not remove any existing "duplicate" rows in ITEMS, LOCATION, MDP_MATRIX or SALES_DATA.
Upgrading from Demantra 7.3.1.x to 12.2.x? This can produce duplicate rows. There are two ways to solve. See patch 21089579 and the details in this note. (Doc ID 2025954.1)
Thursday Jun 18, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Jun 18, 2015
Hello All! We have the certification documents available! They are located at
There you will find:
- The PDF from May 2015 webcast, Demantra Certification. Are you attempting to get certified? Let's walk through the process!
- This is still in draft however, plenty of technical points that will add to your understanding of Demantra troubleshooting and management
Of course, there are plenty of webcasts, as noted in Demantra-Certification-Topics.pdf. Remember, the test is based on 184.108.40.206. I would advise that you stay with manuals that are available for 220.127.116.11 as made available at Oracle Demantra Documentation Library, DOCs, TOIs and Training Available(Doc ID 443969.1).
There is one more site that will help you drill into specific topics. This site has whitepapers from Demantra DEV and Support Proactive Services that will provide detailed analysis and direction to Demantra functional and technical topics. The MOS note is:
Development and Proactive Services Document Library. CRITICAL Updates, Comprehensive, Impactful White Papers, Guides, Notes +! Oracle Value Chain Planning Suite ASCP GOP Demantra RP APCC SNO IO DSR PS SPP, Note 1669052.1
Additionally, the Demantra Information Center is being updated and integrated into the NEW Value Chain Planning (VCP) Information Center! I will provide details as soon as they are available.
As always, feel free to contact me. Best to you in your efforts! Jeff
Saturday Jun 13, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on Jun 13, 2015
Hello All! As promised during the 10-Jun-2015 Demantra webcast, I will be publishing the following on Monday in the Demantra Community. There will be additional docs that will help you move towards certification success. Remember, if you fail, you will know where to refocus your study for attempt two OR even attempt 3!! These are the docs that I have so far:
I will be in touch soon. Thank You! Jeff
Friday May 22, 2015
By JeffG-Oracle on May 22, 2015
Worksheet performance. There are dozens of notes. It can be challenging to find the best approach.
- If you are on 18.104.22.168 or greater, see the following three notes. Upgrade to the latest version of TABLE_REORG. Run TABLE_REORG with the 'T' option and review the suggestions in the LOG_TABLE_REORG table.
- Demantra TABLE_REORG procedure. Did you know that TABLE_REORG has replace rebuild_schema mad rebuild_tables?(Doc ID 2005086.1)
- Demantra TABLE_REORG Tool New Release with Multiple Updates! Partitions, DROP_TEMPS and More! 22.214.171.124 to 12.2.x.(Doc ID 1980408.1)
- If you have an error: Demantra table_reorg Procedure Failed ORA- on sales_data mdp_matrix promotion_data How do I Restart? rupd$_ mlog$_ I have Table cannot be redefinitioned in the LOG_TABLE_REORG table(Doc ID 2006779.1)
I would consider these notes to be the best regarding worksheet performance:
- Oracle Demantra Worksheet Performance - A White Paper (Doc ID 470852.1)
- Oracle Demantra Worksheet Performance FAQ/TIPS 7.3+! (Doc ID 1110517.1)
- Demantra 12.2.4 Worksheet Performance Enhancements Parameter dynamic_hint_enabled, Enable Dynamic Degree of Parallelism Hint for Worksheets.
- Development Recommended Proper Setup and Use (Doc ID 1923933.1)
- Demantra Development Suggested Performance Advice Plus Reference Docs (Doc ID 1157173.1)
- Oracle Demantra Worksheets Caching, Details how the Caching Functionality can be Leveraged to Potentially Increase Performance (Doc ID 1627652.1)
- The Column Prediction_Status, MDP_Matrix and Engine. How are they Related? Understand Prediction_status Values (Doc ID 1509754.1)
Demantra Gathering Statistics on Partitioned Objects Oracle RDBMS 11gR2 (Doc ID 1601596.1)
- Demantra 11g Statistics new Features and Best Practices Gather Schema Stats (Doc ID 1458911.1)
I would review all parameters mentioned in the docs above and:
1. Monitor the workstation memory consumption and CPU utilization as the worksheet is being loaded.
* You may have to adjust the memory ceiling for Java
2. Manage MDP_MATRIX. Are there dead/unused combinations? When running the engine, you can manage the footprint of the input. If MDP_MATRIX
is carrying sizeable dead combinations and/or entries without a matching entry in SALES_DATA, you are increasing processing load. Check out
note 1509754.1. The attachment explains the principle.
3. Using the notes above, can you cache? Can you use filters? Can you use open with?
A series can be cached, aggregated by item and cached in the branch_data_items table. This improves performance of worksheets that are aggregated
across locations and that do not have any location or matrix filtering.
4. Run the index advisor. Does it suggest additional indexes?
5. If you do not have the index advisor, produce an AWR. The AWR should be taken when the user opens the worksheet. For example, start the AWR process.
Wait 10-15 minutes. Tell the user to open the worksheet. After the open succeeds, wait 10 minutes. Stop the AWR process. What are the top SQLS?
What are the contentions?
6. Do you have your large tables on their own tablespace? This means each large table has a tablespace to its self. Each large index has a
tablespace to its self.
7. The worksheet is retrieving rows to display. Is there row chaining causing multiple block reads? That should be revealed in the AWR or run the
8. Worksheet design is important. The worksheet designers setup what they need. However, that does not mean that the worksheet design blends well
with available processing capabilities. Know the forecast branch health. I think this is discussed in 1509754.1. The following SQL reveals the
select level_id,count(*) from mdp_matrix
where prediction_status = 1
group by level_id
order by level_id
If you have a branch that is 100000 and remaining branches at 5000 and 10000 that is a problem. That would point to a setup/design issue.
Meaning that if you have branch as a level and it just so happens that 1 branch indeed has 100,000 and the other 2 branches account for smaller
volumne, 5000 and 10000, the chosen levels of the worksheet need to be revisted. Perhaps a level lower than branch is better suited to
processing the data. While this and #2 above are probably out of your control, it will help explain the worksheet loading and engine processing
9. Reduce the amount of memory that your worksheet selects:
- Remove series if possible
- Reduce the span of time
- Apply filters
10. Review all server and client expressions. Are they affecting performance?
11. Run DROP_TEMPS
This blog delivers the latest information regarding performance and install/upgrade. Comments welcome
- /Data Load Performance
- /Data Load Specific
- /General Performance
- /Install / Upgrade Performance
- /Performance Diagnostics
- /Worksheet Performance