Sun Tech Days 08 - OpenDS
By deepaksingla on Feb 27, 2008
Blog entry by Deepak Singla
The 1st day of Sun Tech Days started pretty early for us and we all were set to go on time. Quickly we were in the booth with our laptops ready for product demos and all set to showcase our wiki documentation.
In IPG booth, I was giving OpenDS demo. So the demo went like the following:
- Telling about the product DSEE itself. Most of the community members were students so had very less knowledge about the product.
- Slowly moving to OpenDS and telling the community that they have a chance to contribute to the product as well as the documentation.
- Installing the product (thanks to the OpenDS smooth installation).
- Performing some basic stuff such as creating instances, searching data, adding new entry, and replication.
- In the end, asking the community to check www.opends.org to find more.
While doing all this, I got to meet few members working on Microsoft Active Directory. It was a pleasure to see people who actually wanted to know more about
the product features, roadmap, and also how the OpenDS/DSEE is better than AD. The demo ended up being an interactive session where people asked lot of questions on LDAP and JDBC, schemas, replication, distribution, virtualization.
In the IPG booth, we also conducted the Sun Survey and Sun quiz, which was one of the main attractions of the booth. Lot of members participated in the quiz and it took us more than two hours to evaluate the quiz. One member scored 12 out of 13 and there were other who scored 10. Towards the end of the day, we also did java.net registrations.
After the hectic day, almost exhausted walked to the room and got ready for the evening party organized by Sun. The Euphoria group (dhum and mai ree fame) entertained the whole crowd for non-stop two hours. So the hectic day ended with the good two hours entertaining session and good food.
More fun filled activities to come tomorrow. Stay tuned...