Deciphering the Data Cent
By dcb on Mar 13, 2005
Disclaimer: I've consulted at all but one of these firms, and can tell you that this puzzle's solution does not generally describe actual purchase decisions or deployment standards at these firms. It's just a puzzle.
Your job is to figure out each firm's preferred choice of servers and storage.
- WalMart, the firm using SGI servers, and the firm with Hitachi storage, are all market leaders.
- Newsflash: CNN uses IBM servers for their back-end processing.
- Neither AT&T nor Disney have any AMCC storage in their data centers.
- The firm still using SGI uses neither NetApp nor EMC storage.
- Hitachi and NetApp were eclipsed on the Sun shop's preferred storage vendor list.
- Both WalMart and Google have kicked EMC out of their centers.
- Disney did not entertain the proposal to start using Fujitsu servers.
- A search of Google's operations shows no sign of HP or SGI.
- A Disney "balance-of-trade" agreement left LSI Logic without a ticket.
- The firm using Fujitsu servers does not permit NetApp based storage in production.
- Google is just starting to consider bringing in Hitachi storage arrays.
The following graphic is NOT the solution, just a randomly ordered list of related logos. It provides no useful information beyond the statements above (I just like to include a graphic with each puzzle). Good luck.
In case you give up, here is the solution: