Announcing: Big Data Appliance 3.0 and Big Data Connectors 3.0
By Jean-Pierre Dijcks-Oracle on Apr 22, 2014
Today we are releasing Big Data Appliance 3.0 (which includes the just released Oracle NoSQL Database 3.0) and Big Data Connectors 3.0.These releases deliver a large number of interesting and cool features and enhance the overall Oracle Big Data Management System that we think is going to be the core of information management going forward.
This post highlights a few of the new enhancements across the BDA, NoSQL DB and BDC stack.
Big Data Appliance 3.0:
- Pre-configured and pre-installed CDH 5.0 with default support for YARN and MR2
- Upgrade from BDA 2.5 (CDH 4.6) to BDA 3.0 (CDH 5.0)
- Full encryption (at rest and over the network) from a single vendor in an appliance
- Kerberos and Apache Sentry pre-configured
- Partition Pruning through Oracle SQL Connector for Hadoop
- Apache Spark (incl. Spark Streaming) support
Oracle NoSQL Database 3.0:
- Table data model support layered on top of distributed key-value model
- Support for Secondary Indexing
- Support for "Data Centers" => Metro zones for DR and secondary zones for read-only workloads
- Authentication and network encryption
You can read about all of these features by going to links above and reading the OTN page, data sheets and other relevant information.
While BDA 3.0 immediately delivers upgrade from BDA 2.5, Oracle will also support the current version and we fully expect more BDA 2.x releases based on more CDH 4.x releases. As a customer you now have a choice how to deploy BDA and which version it is you want to run, while knowing you can upgrade to the latest and greatest in a safe manner.