A Closer Look at Oracle Big Data Appliance
By Jean-Pierre Dijcks on Oct 14, 2011
Oracle Openworld just flew by… a lot of things happened in the big data space of course and you can read a lot of articles, blogs and other interesting materials all over.
What I thought I’d do here is to go through the big data appliance in a little more detail so everyone understands what the make-up of the machine is, what software we are putting on the machine and how it integrates with the Exadata machines.
Now, if you are bored reading, you can actually see and hear Todd and me discuss all this stuff using this link. This should be fun if you have never been to Openworld, as the interview is recorded at the OTN Lounge in the Howard street tent.
Oracle Big Data Appliance
The machine details are as follows:
- 18 Nodes – Sun Servers
- 2 CPUs per node, each with 6 cores (216 cores total)
- 12 Disks per node (432 TB raw disk total)
- Redundant InfiniBand Switches with 10GigE connectivity
To scale the machines, simply add a rack to the original full rack via InfiniBand. By leveraging InfiniBand we generally remove the network bottlenecks in the machine and between the machines. We chose InfiniBand over the 10GigE connectivity because we do believe network capacity of 40Gb/sec is a valuable asset in a Hadoop cluster. We also think that using InfiniBand to connect the big data appliance to an Exadata machine will have a positive influence of the batch loads done into an Oracle system.
The software we are going to pre-install on the machine is:
- Oracle Linux and Oracle Hotspot
- Open-source distribution of Apache Hadoop
- Oracle NoSQL Database Enterprise Edition (also available stand-alone)
- Oracle Loader for Hadoop (also available stand-alone)
- Open-source distribution of R (statistical package)
- Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop (also available stand-alone with ODI)
The goal of this software stack combined with the Sun hardware as an appliance is to create an enterprise class solution for Big Data that is:
- Optimized and Complete - Everything you need to store and integrate your lower information density data
- Integrated with Oracle Exadata - Analyze all your data
- Easy to Deploy - Risk Free, Quick Installation and Setup
- Single Vendor Support - Full Oracle support for the entire system and software set
As we get closer to the delivery date, you will see more detailed descriptions of the appliance, so stay tuned.