UDDATED for Oracle Database 12c & SQLDEV 4.0: Evaluating Oracle Data Mining Has Never Been Easier - Evaluation "Kit" Available
By chberger on Mar 23, 2012
UPDATED (March 2014) for ORACLE DATABASE 12c & SQL DEVELOPER 4.0 (with ORACLE DATA MINER 4.0) Extension
The Oracle Advanced Analytics Option turns the database into an enterprise-wide analytical platform that can quickly deliver enterprise-wide predictive analytics and actionable insights. Oracle Advanced Analytics empowers data and business analysts to extract knowledge, discover new insights and make predictions—working directly with large data volumes in the Oracle Database. Oracle Advanced Analytics, an Option of Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, offers a combination of powerful in-database algorithms and integration with open source R algorithms accessible via SQL and R languages and provides a range of GUI (Oracle Data Miner) and IDE (R client, RStudio, etc.) options targeting business users, data analysts, application developers and data scientists.
Now you can quickly and easily get set up to starting using Oracle Data Mining, the SQL API & GUI component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Database Option for evaluation purposes. Just go to the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and follow these simple steps.
Oracle Data Mining Evaluation "Kit" Instructions
- Anyone can download and install the Oracle Database for free for evaluation purposes. Read OTN web site http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html for details.
- Oracle Database 12c is the latest release and contains many new features. See Oracle Advanced Analytics 12c Dcoumentation's New Features and this recent Oracle Data Mining Blog posting.
- For Oracle Database Release 11g, 126.96.36.199.0 DB is the minimum, 188.8.131.52 is better and naturally 184.108.40.206 is best if you are a current customer and on active support.
- Either 32-bit or 64-bit is fine. 4GB of RAM or more works fine for SQL Developer and the Oracle Data Miner GUI extension.
- Downloading the database and then installing it should take just about an hour or so at most, depending on your network and computer.
- For more instructions on setting up Oracle Data Mining see: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/odm/dataminerworkflow-168677.html
- When you install the Oracle Database, the Oracle Data Mining Examples including sample data is available as part of the total Database installation. See link.
Step 2: Install SQL Developer 4.0 (the Oracle Data Miner GUI Extension installs automatically but additional post installation Set Up in required. See Setting Up Oracle Data Miner )
- Setting Up Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the process of setting up Oracle Data Miner for use within Oracle SQL Developer 4.0.
- Using Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to perform data mining against Oracle Database 12c. In this lesson, you examine and solve a data mining business problem by using the Oracle Data Miner graphical user interface (GUI). The Oracle Data Miner GUI is included as an extension of Oracle SQL Developer, version 4.0.
- Using Feature Selection and Generation with GLM This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to leverage enhancements to the Oracle implementation of Generalized Liner Models (GLM) for Oracle Database 12c. These enhancements include support for Feature Selection and Generation.
- Text Mining with an EM Clustering Model This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to leverage new text mining enhancements while applying a clustering model. In this lesson, you learn how to use the Expectation Maximization (EM) algorithm in a clustering model.
- Using Predictive Queries With Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the use of Predictive Queries against mining data by using Oracle Data Miner 4.0.
- Using the SQL Query Node in a Data Miner Workflow This tutorial covers the use of the new SQL Query Node in an Oracle Data Miner 4.0 workflow.
That’s it! Easy, fun and the fastest way to get started evaluating Oracle Advanced Analytics/Oracle Data Mining. Enjoy!
Note: There are also four (4) additional Oracle Data Miner 3.2 Tutorials that are similar that may be helpful to review.
- Setting Up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the process of setting up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 for use within Oracle SQL Developer 3.0.
- Using Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform data mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2. In this lesson, you examine and solve a data mining business problem by using the Oracle Data Miner graphical user interface (GUI).
- Star Schema Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform star schema mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
- Text Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform text mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.