Tuesday Nov 12, 2013
Monday Jul 15, 2013
Oracle Data Miner GUI, part of SQL Developer 4.0 Early Adopter 1 is now available for download on OTN
By chberger on Jul 15, 2013
The NEW Oracle Data Miner GUI, part of SQL Developer 4.0 Early Adopter 1 is now available for download on OTN. See link to SQL Developer 4.0 EA1.
The Oracle Data Miner 4.0 New Features are applicable to Oracle Database 11g Release 2 and Oracle Database Release 12c: See Oracle Data Miner Extension to SQL Developer 4.0 Release Notes for EA1 for additional information
· Workflow SQL Script Deployment
o Generates SQL scripts to support full deployment of workflow contents
· SQL Query Node
o Integrate SQL queries to transform data
or provide a new data source
o Supports the running of R Language
Scripts and viewing of R generated data and graphics
· Graph Node
o Generate Line, Scatter, Bar, Histogram
and Box Plots
· Model Build Node Improvements
o Node level data usage specification applied to underlying models
o Node level text specifications to govern text transformations
o Displays heuristic rules responsible for excluding predictor columns
o Ability to control the amount of Classification and Regression test results generated
· View Data
o Ability to drill in to view custom objects and nested tables
These new Oracle Data Miner GUI capabilities expose Oracle Database 12c and Oracle Advanced Analytics/Data Mining Release 1 features:
· Predictive Query Nodes
o Predictive results without the need to build models using Analytical Queries
o Refined predictions based on data
· Clustering Node New Algorithm
o Added Expectation Maximization algorithm
· Feature Extraction Node New Algorithms
o Added Singular Value Decomposition and Principal Component Analysis algorithms
· Text Mining Enhancements
o Text transformations integrated as part of Model's Automatic Data Preparation
o Ability to import Build Text node specifications into a Model Build node
· Prediction Result Explanations
o Scoring details that explain predictive result
· Generalized Linear Model New Algorithm Settings
o New algorithm settings provide feature selection and generation
Wednesday May 08, 2013
By chberger on May 08, 2013
Periodically, I've recorded a demonstration and/or presentation on Oracle Advanced Analytics and Data Mining and have posted them on YouTube. Here are links to some of more recent YouTube postings--sort of an
Oracle Advanced Analytics and Data Mining at the Movies experience.
- New - Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) SampleAppls Demo featuring integration with Oracle Advanced Analytics/Data Mining
- New - Oracle Big Data Analytics Demo mining remote sensor data from HVACs for better customer service
- In-Database Data Mining for Retail Market Basket Analysis Using Oracle Advanced Analytics
- In-Database Data Mining Using Oracle Advanced Analytics for Classification using Insurance Use Case
- Fraud and Anomaly Detection using Oracle Advanced Anlaytics Part 1 Concepts
- Fraud and Anomaly Detection using Oracle Advanced Analytics Part 2 Demo
- Overview Presentation and Demonstration of Oracle Advanced Analytics Database Option
So.... grab your popcorn and a comfortable chair. Hope you enjoy!
Friday Jun 08, 2012
By chberger on Jun 08, 2012
Tuesday May 29, 2012
By chberger on May 29, 2012
I've created and recorded another YouTube-like presentation and "live" demos of Oracle Advanced Analytics Option, this time focusing on Fraud and Anomaly Detection using Oracle Data Mining. [Note: It is a large MP4 file that will open and play in place. The sound quality is weak so you may need to turn up the volume.]
Data is your most valuable asset. It represents the entire history of your organization and its interactions with your customers. Predictive analytics leverages data to discover patterns, relationships and to help you even make informed predictions. Oracle Data Mining (ODM) automatically discovers relationships hidden in data. Predictive models and insights discovered with ODM address business problems such as: predicting customer behavior, detecting fraud, analyzing market baskets, profiling and loyalty. Oracle Data Mining, part of the Oracle Advanced Analytics (OAA) Option to the Oracle Database EE, embeds 12 high performance data mining algorithms in the SQL kernel of the Oracle Database. This eliminates data movement, delivers scalability and maintains security.
But, how do you find these very important needles or possibly fraudulent transactions and huge haystacks of data? Oracle Data Mining’s 1 Class Support Vector Machine algorithm is specifically designed to identify rare or anomalous records. Oracle Data Mining's 1-Class SVM anomaly detection algorithm trains on what it believes to be considered “normal” records, build a descriptive and predictive model which can then be used to flags records that, on a multi-dimensional basis, appear to not fit in--or be different. Combined with clustering techniques to sort transactions into more homogeneous sub-populations for more focused anomaly detection analysis and Oracle Business Intelligence, Enterprise Applications and/or real-time environments to "deploy" fraud detection, Oracle Data Mining delivers a powerful advanced analytical platform for solving important problems. With OAA/ODM you can find suspicious expense report submissions, flag non-compliant tax submissions, fight fraud in healthcare claims and save huge amounts of money in fraudulent claims and abuse.
This presentation and several brief demos will show Oracle Data Mining's fraud and anomaly detection capabilities.
Thursday May 10, 2012
Oracle Virtual SQL Developer Days DB May 15th - Session #3: 1Hr. Predictive Analytics and Data Mining Made Easy!
By chberger on May 10, 2012
Oracle Data Mining's SQL Developer based ODM'r GUI + ODM is being featured in this upcoming Virtual SQL Developer Day online event next Tuesday, May 15th. Several thousand people have already registered and registration is still growing. We recorded and uploaded presentations/demos and then anyone can view them "on demand", but at the specified date/time per the SQL DD event agenda. Anyone can also download a complete 11gR2 Database w/ SQL Developer 3.1 & Oracle Data Miner GUI extension VM installation for the Hands-on Labs and follow our 4 ODM Oracle by Examples e-training. We moderators monitor the online chat and answer questions.
Session #3: 1Hr. Predictive Analytics and Data Mining Made Easy!We're also included in the June 7th physical event in NYC and future virtual and physical events. Great event(s) and great "viz" for OAA/ODM.
Oracle Data Mining, a component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics database option, embeds powerful data mining algorithms in the SQL kernel of the Oracle Database for problems such as customer churn, predicting customer behavior, up-sell and cross-sell, detecting fraud, market basket analysis (e.g. beer & diapers), customer profiling and customer loyalty. Oracle Data Miner, SQL Developer 3.1 extension, provides data analysts a “workflow” paradigm to build analytical methodologies to explore data and build, evaluate and apply data mining models—all while keeping the data inside the Oracle Database. This workshop will teach the student the basics of getting started using Oracle Data Mining.
By chberger on May 10, 2012
Two Oracle Data Mining Virtual Classes are now scheduled. Register for a course in 2 easy steps.
Step 1: Select your Live Virtual Class options
|Live Virtual Class
Course ID: D76362GC10
Course Title: Oracle Database 11g: Data Mining Techniques NEW
Duration: 2 Days
Price: US$ 1,300 Dollars
Step 2: Select the date and location of your Live Virtual Class
Please select a location below then click on the Add to Cart button
|Location||Duration||Class Date||Class Start Time||Class End Time||Course Materials||Instruction Language||Seats||Audience||Employees|
|2 Days||09-Aug-2012||04:00 AM EDT||12:00 PM EDT||English||English||Available||Public|
|2 Days||18-Oct-2012||04:00 AM EDT||12:00 PM EDT||English||English||Available||Public|
Wednesday Apr 04, 2012
By chberger on Apr 04, 2012
Ever want to just sit and watch a YouTube-like presentation and "live" demos of Oracle Advanced Analytics/Oracle Data Mining? Then click here! (plays large MP4 file in a browser)
This 1+ hour long session focuses primarily on the Oracle Data Mining component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Option and is tied to the Oracle SQL Developer Days virtual and onsite events. I cover:
- Big Data + Big Data Analytics
- Competing on analytics & value proposition
- What is data mining?
- Typical use cases
- Oracle Data Mining high performance in-database SQL based data mining functions
- Exadata "smart scan" scoring
- Oracle Data Miner GUI (an Extension that ships with SQL Developer)
- Oracle Business Intelligence EE + Oracle Data Mining results/predictions in dashboards
- Applications "powered by Oracle Data Mining for factory installed predictive analytics methodologies
- Oracle R Enterprise
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions. Hope you enjoy!
Charlie Berger, Sr. Director of Product Management, Oracle Data Mining & Advanced Analytics, Oracle Corporation
Friday Mar 23, 2012
By chberger on Mar 23, 2012
A NEW 2-Day Instructor Led Course on Oracle Data Mining has been developed for customers and anyone wanting to learn more about data mining, predictive analytics and knowledge discovery inside the Oracle Database. To register interest in attending the class, click here and submit your preferred format.
- Explain basic data mining concepts and describe the benefits of predictive analysis
- Understand primary data mining tasks, and describe the key steps of a data mining process
- Use the Oracle Data Miner to build,evaluate, and apply multiple data mining models
- Use Oracle Data Mining's predictions and insights to address many kinds of business problems, including: Predict individual behavior, Predict values, Find co-occurring events
- Learn how to deploy data mining results for real-time access by end-users
Five reasons why you should attend this 2 day Oracle Data Mining Oracle University course. With Oracle Data Mining, a component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Option, you will learn to gain insight and foresight to:
- Go beyond simple BI and dashboards about the past. This course will teach you about "data mining" and "predictive analytics", analytical techniques that can provide huge competitive advantage
- Take advantage of your data and investment in Oracle technology
- Leverage all the data in your data warehouse, customer data, service data, sales data, customer comments and other unstructured data, point of sale (POS) data, to build and deploy predictive models throughout the enterprise.
- Learn how to explore and understand your data and find patterns and relationships that were previously hidden
- Focus on solving strategic challenges to the business, for example, targeting "best customers" with the right offer, identifying product bundles, detecting anomalies and potential fraud, finding natural customer segments and gaining customer insight.
UDDATED for Oracle Database 12c & SQLDEV 4.0: Evaluating Oracle Data Mining Has Never Been Easier - Evaluation "Kit" Available
By chberger on Mar 23, 2012
UPDATED (March 2014) for ORACLE DATABASE 12c & SQL DEVELOPER 4.0 (with ORACLE DATA MINER 4.0) Extension
The Oracle Advanced Analytics Option turns the database into an enterprise-wide analytical platform that can quickly deliver enterprise-wide predictive analytics and actionable insights. Oracle Advanced Analytics empowers data and business analysts to extract knowledge, discover new insights and make predictions—working directly with large data volumes in the Oracle Database. Oracle Advanced Analytics, an Option of Oracle Database Enterprise Edition, offers a combination of powerful in-database algorithms and integration with open source R algorithms accessible via SQL and R languages and provides a range of GUI (Oracle Data Miner) and IDE (R client, RStudio, etc.) options targeting business users, data analysts, application developers and data scientists.
Now you can quickly and easily get set up to starting using Oracle Data Mining, the SQL API & GUI component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Database Option for evaluation purposes. Just go to the Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and follow these simple steps.
Oracle Data Mining Evaluation "Kit" Instructions
- Anyone can download and install the Oracle Database for free for evaluation purposes. Read OTN web site http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html for details.
- Oracle Database 12c is the latest release and contains many new features. See Oracle Advanced Analytics 12c Dcoumentation's New Features and this recent Oracle Data Mining Blog posting.
- For Oracle Database Release 11g, 188.8.131.52.0 DB is the minimum, 184.108.40.206 is better and naturally 220.127.116.11 is best if you are a current customer and on active support.
- Either 32-bit or 64-bit is fine. 4GB of RAM or more works fine for SQL Developer and the Oracle Data Miner GUI extension.
- Downloading the database and then installing it should take just about an hour or so at most, depending on your network and computer.
- For more instructions on setting up Oracle Data Mining see: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/odm/dataminerworkflow-168677.html
- When you install the Oracle Database, the Oracle Data Mining Examples including sample data is available as part of the total Database installation. See link.
Step 2: Install SQL Developer 4.0 (the Oracle Data Miner GUI Extension installs automatically but additional post installation Set Up in required. See Setting Up Oracle Data Miner )
- Setting Up Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the process of setting up Oracle Data Miner for use within Oracle SQL Developer 4.0.
- Using Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to perform data mining against Oracle Database 12c. In this lesson, you examine and solve a data mining business problem by using the Oracle Data Miner graphical user interface (GUI). The Oracle Data Miner GUI is included as an extension of Oracle SQL Developer, version 4.0.
- Using Feature Selection and Generation with GLM This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to leverage enhancements to the Oracle implementation of Generalized Liner Models (GLM) for Oracle Database 12c. These enhancements include support for Feature Selection and Generation.
- Text Mining with an EM Clustering Model This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner 4.0 to leverage new text mining enhancements while applying a clustering model. In this lesson, you learn how to use the Expectation Maximization (EM) algorithm in a clustering model.
- Using Predictive Queries With Oracle Data Miner 4.0 This tutorial covers the use of Predictive Queries against mining data by using Oracle Data Miner 4.0.
- Using the SQL Query Node in a Data Miner Workflow This tutorial covers the use of the new SQL Query Node in an Oracle Data Miner 4.0 workflow.
That’s it! Easy, fun and the fastest way to get started evaluating Oracle Advanced Analytics/Oracle Data Mining. Enjoy!
Note: There are also four (4) additional Oracle Data Miner 3.2 Tutorials that are similar that may be helpful to review.
- Setting Up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the process of setting up Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 for use within Oracle SQL Developer 3.0.
- Using Oracle Data Miner 11g Release 2 This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform data mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2. In this lesson, you examine and solve a data mining business problem by using the Oracle Data Miner graphical user interface (GUI).
- Star Schema Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform star schema mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
- Text Mining Using Oracle Data Miner This tutorial covers the use of Oracle Data Miner to perform text mining against Oracle Database 11g Release 2.
Wednesday Feb 08, 2012
Monday Sep 19, 2011
By chberger on Sep 19, 2011
Example Predictive Analytics Applications (partial list)
- Oracle Communications & Retail Industry Models —factory installed data mining for specific industries
- Oracle Spend Classification
- Oracle Fusion Human Capital Management (HCM) Predictive Workforce
- Oracle Fusion Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Sales Prediction
- Oracle Adaptive Access Manager real-time Security
- Oracle Complex Event Processing integrated with ODM models
- Predictive Incident Monitoring Service for Oracle Database customers
Pretty cool stuff if you or your customers are interested in analytics. Here's the link to the ppt slides.
Everything about Oracle Data Mining, a component of the Oracle Advanced Analytics Option - News, Technical Information, Opinions, Tips & Tricks. All in One Place
- Deploy Data Miner Apply Node SQL as RESTful Web Service for Real-Time Scoring
- How to generate training and test dataset using SQL Query node in Data Miner
- dunnhumby Accelerates Complex Segmentation Queries from Weeks to Minutes—Gains Competitive Advantage
- How to generate Scatterplot Matrices using R script in Data Miner
- How to export data from the Explore Node using Data Miner and SQL Developer
- Oracle BIWA Summit 2014 January 14-16, 2014 at Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores, CA
- Come See and Test Drive Oracle Advanced Analytics at the BIWA Summit'14, Jan 14-16, 2014
- Oracle Big Data Learning Library
- Oracle Data Miner (Extension of SQL Developer 4.0) Integrate Oracle R Enterprise Mining Algorithms into workflow using the SQL Query node
- Oracle Data Miner GUI, part of SQL Developer 4.0 Early Adopter 1 is now available for download on OTN